Beginner CPL filter

Name
Don
Edit My Images
Yes
Howdy,

So I used my cheapo CPL filter for the first time and the resulting contrast was evident for the skies.
Is a CPL filter a must have standard/best pal whenever doing outdoor daytime togging for landscape?

Thanks!

Hi, JMO but the word you use here 'cheapo' is the the big fall over, better to spend that little more and try to find quaility.
Read it all the time on forums about buying a lens for good money and then putting a cheap filter on the expensive glass.
Is a pol filter a must have? No, but it goes a long way to helping get those blue skies/white clouds and also when used when foliage is in the scene.
Lastly if you are going to use one have a look online to see how to use it correctly.
Russ

It's not 100% essential unless you're taking very specific types of shots - but it can be a real pain to try to recreate some of the effects in post if you don't have one. As Russell says, sticking cheap glass over decent glass just makes your lens effectively cheap!

I'd have a play with what you have - get yourself 90 degrees to the sun for starters and look at what it does to reflections on water, windows etc. Compare blue sky/cloud shots with and without. Even have a quick play with it for sunrise/sunset shots (and then don't use it again for them!) but basically work out yourself how you like to use it and what it does. If you find you like the effects and think it's useful, you can buy yourself a much better quality one when you're ready. Conversely, if you find you don't want to use it, you can just pack it away in the just-in-case pocket of the camera bag :)

Not exactly sure what you mean by, "the resulting contrast was evident for the skies".

If you mean shots with the cheapo CPL were lacking in contrast then it could be the filter degrading the image.

If you mean when using the filter some parts of the sky looked a darker blue than other parts then it is not necessarily the effect of a cheap filter. The effect of a CPL on a blue sky depends on where you are pointing it - very little if any effect toward or away from the sun; greatest effect at 90 degrees to the sun. Combining a CPL with a wide angle lens can cause problems. The field of view of a wide angle is so large that it covers area that a CPL would darken quite a bit and areas it won't, so can give an uneven and noticeable effect.

I agree with Paul's suggestion, have a play and see what it does. I think the effect on non metallic reflections alone are a reason for having a CPL.

Dave

I'm on it
Tringa - I mentioned 'cheapo' as its just what I have; wasn't said to highlight the fact of poor quality, rather the (decent) difference it produced.

Just trying to gauge others' usage. Will venture forth and experiment on and off results.
Thanks!

"Cheap Filters make 'expensive' lenses 'cheap'" - Sorry - BIT of a gear-grinder that one; small counter-thought to the notion:-
A 'Cheap' CPL might cost about a fiver. It's a single (flat) optical 'element', that blocks light, it doesn't bend it, housed in a simple metal bezel. It is not exactly the most intricate bit of optical equipment to manufacture, and there is only limited opportunity for 'lack' of quality control in the product to introduce significant 'image degradation'.
For comparison, a typical 18-55 kit lens is a much more complex and intricate device with far more opportunity for lack of quality control to diminish IQ, yet with eleven or so optical elements individually offering far greater opportunity to diminish IQ, before they are assembled into the body where with movements and mechanics even more opportunity for lack of QC to diminish potential IQ, in a lens that retails for under £100? each precision ground element is probably made down to a price and standard lower than even a 'cheap' CPL?

And THEN... in use, where keeping your kit clean, and using it appropriately is far more influential than the quality of the kit itself? AND where the optical standard of your kit, has such tiny influence over the ' standard' of your photo's, and you are far more likely to cock up a shot from poor composition, or lack of subject interest, than having that extra 'nth of precision in the hard-ware?

There is 'truth' in the suggestion, and I have a couple of old cheaper polariser filters from way-back when, that really DO diminish IQ; one of them ISTR gave a rather nasty blue-hue particularly on slide film, but these days? 'acceptable quality levels' have tended to push all into the middle ground and the differences between 'cheap' and 'expensive' are usually that much smaller, in an arena where 'significance' is diminishing anyway.

IMO it's just not really such a big deal, and IF you use filters, you aught to accept that there is always going to be a loss of some-sort for any gain you hope to achieve.

OP: keep it clean, keep it scratch free, and be careful of 'technique' - a filter in-front of the front element inherently offers opportunity for 'flare' either from incident light raking across flat front of filter, or internal reflection between filter and lenses front element; curve of lenses own front element plus any 'hooding' provided by the lens body even without accessory hood, would tend to help control this without a filter, so if you use an accessory filter it's something to be wary of. But otherwise?

Yeah, out-doors I tend to use CPL pretty extensively on 'normal' & 'telephoto' lenses. My favourite subject is custom & classic motorbikes though, which frequently have a lot of 'bright-work' in chrome and shiny paint, and a CPL can remove a lot of unwanted reflections and hot-spots in that situation; for landscapes and other out-door shots? Most noticeable effect is probably boosting skies and saturating colour, but can still cut out a lot of distracting reflections or glare, most noticeable over water, where you may actually not want a CPL to retain dancing highlights and 'texture' in the surface of a lake or pond or similar.

While polariser used for max effect can drop exposure two or three stops, which in strong sun-light may be an advantage, but as light levels dim can become a disadvantage; and give dilemma for evening/sunset shots, when low raking light is providing more 'glare' and 'reflections' you might want to control with a CPL, but lower light levels beg you not using one to keep ISO down, the aperture tight or shutter up.

As ever, so much more is in the technique, not the technology; so practice practice, practice..

Reactions: RIR
Mike, polarising filters do not remove reflections from anything metal. They work on shiny paintwork when the angles are right (30-40 degrees to the surface), but not on chrome and polished alloy etc. It's an electro-magnetic radiation thing.

Back