CPU failing?? Lightroom is unbearable on my laptop

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has noticed Lightroom classic being more demanding on a CPU recently?

For a week my laptop has been struggling more and more to the point where even doing basic adjustments takes forever! The screen keeps saying not responding when I click on an adjustment and then blacks for a second before it recovers and I can make the adjustment.

Maybe my CPU is just dying???

Nothing on my PC has changed recently and I have tried disabling all of the syncs and the graphics processor but it makes no difference.

In the task manager window, the CPU keeps hitting 100% every few seconds. If I reboot the laptop and start again, lightroom is a bit quicker but the more editing or viewing I do, the slower it gets to the point where I can select crop, go and make a brew, come back and it is still not ready.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks

Mike

Is LR the first and only application you have running, or was anything else open either before or at the same time?

IIRC, they can slow down if you work them hard and they're over heating. Fluff in the heatsink maybe?

Is LR the first and only application you have running, or was anything else open either before or at the same time?

Hi,

I closed everything else that was running and stopped the anti-virus, disconnected form the internet etc. Everything I could think off. Also stopped all programs from launching at start up and rebooted. It didn't make any difference

What cpu is it? Lightroom has always loved fast cpu and disk.

A faulty cpu wouldn't randomly slow down, you'd have other system halting errors.

It's an i7 4500 1.8Ghz so not exactly rapid. But until recently it handled Lightroom and anything else running at the same time ok.

IIRC, they can slow down if you work them hard and they're over heating. Fluff in the heatsink maybe?

I shall have a look. I replaced the HDD for an SSD a couple of months ago and there wasn't any fluff etc then and I did give it a quick clean.

Had the same problem on my laptop, new lightroom had enabled gpu acceleration, switched off and everything was ok.

It's an i7 4500 1.8Ghz so not exactly rapid. But until recently it handled Lightroom and anything else running at the same time ok.

The 4500u is only a dual core despite being i7, but that shouldn't necessarily be an issue. However new software may start to leave older and slower hardware struggling.

Had the same problem on my laptop, new lightroom had enabled gpu acceleration, switched off and everything was ok.

Yes do this if you have not already, gpu acceleration is pretty buggy.

This definately, it's amazing how much can quickly build up.

Also check your startup (under task manager in Windows 10) for lots of little programs that like to start. All those updaters that like to run in the background, google, adobe, java. Have a look at the programs that run at startup and see if you really need them.

Then look into Lightroom, some good performance tips here
https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html

Back