Cramond Causeway sunrise

S

stupar

Set the alarm for 4am this morning with great intentions of heading out to Cramond Causeway to hopefully capture a magnificent sunrise.
Sadly mother nature called the shots and dumped a bank of low thick cloud which stopped all but a tiny bit of colour to soak through.

Will try again another time but seeing as I was there it would be prudent to capture the scene anyway.

thanks for looking!

Crmond Causeway by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

Still a good picture - very bold strong composition and whilst not what you hoped for there's just enough colour to make it nice.

The processing stands out as remarkably tasteful, restrained and considered. Good work.

Still a good picture - very bold strong composition and whilst not what you hoped for there's just enough colour to make it nice.

The processing stands out as remarkably tasteful, restrained and considered. Good work.
Cheers Steve,
It would have been too easy to over process the image to try and compensate for the lack of sunrise colours but restrained as you say has a greater outcome.

Also, I can always try again another time given its not far away from me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not convinced about the composition Stu, that is one large lump of fairly boring concrete dominating the frame. Looks like the tide was working against you too. Given what mother nature threw at you though it is a very good result. Same image a few yards further towards the island and it would have worked better imo. Th spikes make great elements in a composition but they get a bit lost here.

Not convinced about the composition Stu, that is one large lump of fairly boring concrete dominating the frame. Looks like the tide was working against you too. Given what mother nature threw at you though it is a very good result. Same image a few yards further towards the island and it would have worked better imo. Th spikes make great elements in a composition but they get a bit lost here.
Completely understand what you say Simon.
If tide had been out completely our considerably lower then the first element of the lead in line would have been the spikes themselves.
I would have also been able to compose the sun through the spikes for an alternative shot too.

When planning my location I negated to check tide times thus this was the best of an otherwise not so suitable situation.

Completely understand what you say Simon.
If tide had been out completely our considerably lower then the first element of the lead in line would have been the spikes themselves.
I would have also been able to compose the sun through the spikes for an alternative shot too.

When planning my location I negated to check tide times thus this was the best of an otherwise not so suitable situation.
I started recording tide heights of successful shots. The tide and sun don't play ball that often. Great effort in the circumstances, Rugby for me today but I must get out and do the landscapes soon, summer is usually my break from them but that excuse is running out of time

I do like that, Stuart. Those spikes are great but it's quite hard making an interesting shot with them. My best so far in terms of framing was through the gap with the island in the background, taken with a crappy old P&S digital. Light was terrible, but when I went back a few years later with a better camera & light, I couldn't work out how I'd taken it! I think the tide must have been very low and I stepped off onto the mud.

I do like that, Stuart. Those spikes are great but it's quite hard making an interesting shot with them. My best so far in terms of framing was through the gap with the island in the background, taken with a crappy old P&S digital. Light was terrible, but when I went back a few years later with a better camera & light, I couldn't work out how I'd taken it! I think the tide must have been very low and I stepped off onto the mud.
Sounds like you had the joy of tide out so you could actually step down on to the Causeway and walk between the spikes for your shot.

Certainly that is the more pleasing composition for this subject but alas when tide is in you have to make the best of a not so good situation.

Back