Crane Fly - More up close macros

RobertP

TPer Emeritus
Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
The other day I tried and failed to get some more ant pictures. Took loads but only one was any good. Can't waste it so off topic but here it is anyway!

Honeyed_ant.jpg

So I put all my toys away then today I see this crane fly in the garage and out it all comes again. Experimented with different focus settings on the 2 lenses (50mm reversed on the front of the 150mm macro) and found there is a trade off between working distance and depth of field. Best compromise seems to be 50mm focused at a setting of 1meter and the 150mm on infinity. Gives a working distance of about 30mm from the front glass (which is actually the back element of the 50mm).

On with the bug....

Couple first with just the 150mm macro

crane11.jpg

crane2.jpg

Then I tape the 50mm onto the front and get in a bit closer.

OK so it is a 100% crop too! Reminds me of that place in Cornwall - eden project?

crane3.jpg

crane4.jpg

crane5.jpg

Hairy face.
crane6.jpg

Counterweight thingy
crane7.jpg

And a hairy knee.
crane8.jpg

Very nice. Love the second and seventh one. Shame you didn't have a bit more dof on no.7 though, just to get his eye in focus as well. Im getting a 150mm macro lens tomorrow, and im very impressed with the detail gained from just this in pic2, so I can't wait to get my hand on mine.:) Good work.

Excellent shots of an ugly little b***er.

Robert, what exactly is your setup for reversing the 50mm on the 150mm? I'm planning on giving this a go and was wondering what adaptors/rings etc you used for getting from 72 to 58mm?

EDIT - Actually, dont worry I found your earlier thread explaining it :)

Robert, what exactly is your setup for reversing the 50mm on the 150mm?

Sticky tape!

But I don't leave it on for long as I don't want sticky residue.

Back