Crappy A3 Printer Recommendations

JennyGW

Suspended / Banned
Name
Jenny
Edit My Images
No
I'm thinking about getting a large proofing printer. Top prio is cheap. Thinking 4 colour thingies.

Any that are reliable?

Any to avoid?

Thanks,
Jenny

Shame you're in Derbyshire rather than more local to me. I currently use a Canon iX4000 which is a CMYK (4 ink) printer but delivers pretty good prints but have a Pro100 waiting on the spare bed for the old printer to run out of ink! The only reason I'm upgrading is to get better B&W prints - colour ones are fine from the iX4000 but however much I try to tweak it, B&Ws have a slight but noticeable colour cast.

If you might be passing on your way to a holiday in the South West, let me know and I'll stick it in the classifieds (to keep all above board). Not sure how much I want for it but it won't be expensive!

Shame you're in Derbyshire rather than more local to me. I currently use a Canon iX4000 which is a CMYK (4 ink) printer but delivers pretty good prints but have a Pro100 waiting on the spare bed for the old printer to run out of ink! The only reason I'm upgrading is to get better B&W prints - colour ones are fine from the iX4000 but however much I try to tweak it, B&Ws have a slight but noticeable colour cast.

If you might be passing on your way to a holiday in the South West, let me know and I'll stick it in the classifieds (to keep all above board). Not sure how much I want for it but it won't be expensive!

Looks like an interesting printer. How many pages of A3 full colour do you get out of a set of cartridges and how much are you looking to charge?

Last edited:
Pass! I'm pretty sure that it's cheaper to home print A4 and above as far as paper and ink costs go than it is to get them done elsewhere, as well as being able (if necessary) to do instant reprints. I always make sure I have at least one full set of spare carts in the drawer so I don't get caught short half way through a session and I always use genuine Canon carts (sourced from 7dayshop so they're cheaper less expensive).

Depending on how many full carts there are left when I run out of one colour, probably £100 - £150 for the thing with a few full carts.

Pass! I'm pretty sure that it's cheaper to home print A4 and above as far as paper and ink costs go than it is to get them done elsewhere, as well as being able (if necessary) to do instant reprints. I always make sure I have at least one full set of spare carts in the drawer so I don't get caught short half way through a session and I always use genuine Canon carts (sourced from 7dayshop so they're cheaper less expensive).

Depending on how many full carts there are left when I run out of one colour, probably £100 - £150 for the thing with a few full carts.

Your Canon looks pretty good. Also thinking of something like
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-Photos...hoto_Printers_Printers_JN&hash=item2c80725422

Anyone used one?

Cheap and home printing aren't compatible. If you buy a cheap printer the ink cost is crippling. False economy. The only two choices IMHO are:

Canon Pro 100 with £50 cashback and a cheap ink/paper deal from Park £338 in total (printer cost about £170 if you factor in the ink and paper you get)

Or

Epson 3880 which is a bit cheaper per ml of ink. Better value in the longer term. Not much change from a grand, though.

Anything cheaper, especially a nasty all-in-one job, you'd be better off burning the money. At least that way you'd be warm. Basically, get the Pro 100.

Sent from my iPad using Talk Photography Forums

Cheap and home printing aren't compatible. If you buy a cheap printer the ink cost is crippling. False economy. The only two choices IMHO are:

Canon Pro 100 with £50 cashback and a cheap ink/paper deal from Park £338 in total (printer cost about £170 if you factor in the ink and paper you get)

Or

Epson 3880 which is a bit cheaper per ml of ink. Better value in the longer term. Not much change from a grand, though.

Anything cheaper, especially a nasty all-in-one job, you'd be better off burning the money. At least that way you'd be warm. Basically, get the Pro 100.

I am not looking to create finished product. It is for proofing.

depends if you are happy to use cheapo inks, it gets dirt cheap then but there not going to be great colour matches but maybe ok for test prints.

I placed on order for this bundle last night but Park are out of stock and are quoting 10 to 14 days for restock. Canon cashback finishes on 7th May. Just pondering my options now as the rest of the bundle is so cheap.

i bought mine from wex with the offer of 50 sheets of permajet oyster a3+ and a full set of spare inks and cash back , dont know if they have any in stock

i bought mine from wex with the offer of 50 sheets of permajet oyster a3+ and a full set of spare inks and cash back , dont know if they have any in stock

Thanks Chris. Yes I knew that offer was available. In fact I had it in my shopping basket at Wex and left it a few days to decide whether I really wanted it. When I went back to place the order the offer was no longer available :( I then fell back on the Park offer. Oh the consequences of indecision.

Edit: I now see that Wex have put the offer back on their website.

Last edited:

just ordered one myself. Thanks :) Not sure i will get the cashback as you have to enter the serial number, itll never get here by the 7th.

Last edited:
Back