CRB Check

Different places will charge different amounts, and there is the standard and enhanced CRB.

Here on the Wirral I have found that the local volunteering centre is about the cheapest. I don't know if other areas have a centralised volunteering service but its worth checking out.

David why do you want a CRB check? No point in getting one done a) if you don't need one b) you get the wrong one done. c) remember they are not transferable.

You can see several threads on here about the worth of having one and its pointlessness.

David a CRB check is done by an organisation on you. The check carried out by that organisation is exclusive to them, so another organisation would need to carry out their own check and so on. Potentially you could end up having several CRB checks done on you by different organisations. They are not 'yours' and any one of them have no legal transfer to another organisation.

A CRB check is generally only required if you are left in a supervisory position with children or vulnerable adults. In other words, you are left alone with them. And even if you found yourself alone with them at points in the day, in the sense that staff were around but in and out of rooms, I am not sure there is a requirement.

So, if you plan on a job in a school but have a member of staff with you at all times, you don't need a check done. I maybe wrong but I think the requirement for a CRB is at the descretion of the organisation, depending on all the circumstances.

There has been a lot of confusion over this and if I do have anything wrong I will happily stand corrected. I think its died down a bit now but there was a period where everyone was totally paranoid about CRB and insisting they were done when there was no need.

Tell us why you ask, we might be able to help more accurately.

Matt

not sure if the police still do them but it cost me £10 when i 1st started the door around 2002 but then when the sia brought the license out it was done in newcastle at a cost of around £60 per person very very in-depth and they refused alot of doorman license it would show stuff up from 10 + years ago

Whole new system inc portable checks FINALLY makes sense, thank god...

The CRB system has its supporters and detractors.

It is in the process of change (finally) and for me none too soon. As a School Governor with Child Protection responsibilities it has been quite an issue. This is especially so with issues on volunteers (Parent Teacher Association especially whe organising events) and school photographers. Until now we have used the self declaration process wherein a false statement can lead to prosecution for fraud.

The suggestrd change wherein a single CRB registration can be checked by prospective employers etc will be very useful and will be a money saver.

It should be noted that volunteers who need a CRB check was free through the organisation's CRB authority.

The non tranferable/acceptability process caused a lot of cost to many orhanisation. My son is a freelance sports coach and currently has 4 separate CRB certs whilst my wife has 2 fore roles covering PTA and local cricket club! All 6 are the enhanced versions.... madness.

So for those doing one off jobs the self declaration route was the way forward. The new system may bring some sanity to the whole process.

H

Hiekel Essterol said:
Another flaw in the system; Jimmy Savile would have passed a CRB check.

The other side of that argument is that a CRB Check works on convictions and fact and not just rumours and gossip.

I'm on our local school governors committee and the school themselves processed a CRB for me (it is school specific though). So if you need it for a specific school, I guess they will be able to do it for you, and it will be up to them whether they require you to have one or not..

my understanding is that all a clean CRB proves is that "you" haven't been caught! (Not suggesting that you have ever done anything wrong....)

You can only get a CRB check if you work with the same group of children on a regular basis. A CRB check only applies to a single company/group/building. If you are a kids football coach, scout leader and help in a school, you will need 3 separate CRB checks.

I visit schools regularly, but I cannot get a CRB check by law as I do not work with the same group of kids.

You can only get a CRB check if you work with the same group of children on a regular basis. A CRB check only applies to a single company/group/building. If you are a kids football coach, scout leader and help in a school, you will need 3 separate CRB checks.

I visit schools regularly, but I cannot get a CRB check by law as I do not work with the same group of kids.

Interesting. As a school bus driver I am required by the council to have an enhanced CRB. But I don't work with the same kids every day.

Hiekel Essterol said:
Interesting. As a school bus driver I am required by the council to have an enhanced CRB. But I don't work with the same kids every day.

Not everyday, but it is regular contact (fortnight comes to mind as regular)

Funny you say that, a friend of mine is also a bus driver, and has in the past worked "locum" for national and two local (county) firms... which obviously involved school kids.

He has 3 current valid CRB's! :wacky::wacky:

Local junior school did mine whilst training the kids at football. Local Police station I guess would be the starting point?

TowerMan said:
Local junior school did mine whilst training the kids at football. Local Police station I guess would be the starting point?

I don't think the police get involved, there are companies who can process them for you or the organisation asking for one should be able to process it.

Dale_d3100 said:
or the organisation asking for one should be able to process it.

That's the whole point of the system is not for YOU to get a CRB/DBC, it's for whom ever your working for to get a check about you.

If one is needed your employer will know how to go about it, you need to know nothing about how to get one as its not your concern.

Back