CRB/DBS Disclosure checks?

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
I've been asked if I'm able to cover a primary school leavers party (Year 6) however I've been asked if I have had a DBS enhanced check.
Unfortunately I've not had one before so have had to turn down the job as it's only a few days away.

Now to avoid this happening in the future, I'd like to get this done....
1. Do any of you guys have this?
2. How does a self-employed photog go about getting this?

Thank you.

You can't do one yourself, its usually your employer that requests a DBS. I think there are a number of professional organisations that will do it for you, for an extra fee of course. I would be cautious of those sites that offer the service because from the government website

Applicants (job candidates) can’t do a criminal records check on themselves.

Last edited:
Who's asked you? - if it's the school they should know better (but probably don't)..

There's lots of guidance on this on the official websites dealing with DBS. Best to go to the horse's mouth.

I agree with Alastair, if it's the school they then don't know the correct requirements.

A friend of mine is a teaching assistant in one of the local schools and she has told me before now that a DBS certificate is not necessary for a temporary visitor, which you would be, but they must be accompanied by a teacher or teaching assistant at all times.

I currently hold an enhanced DBS accreditation.

From my experience the requirement to hold one varies from one school to another.

Some schools will enforce while others will not.

Thanks for the replies.

I was asked by one of the teachers at the school if I could cover the event and i'm sure there would be school staff present. however it looks like they're one of the schools that will insist on the DBS accreditation.

My Wife is a private dentist and as part of her role with multiple practices she requires this, however the system for her has changed a bit. There is now a central register which holds her checks etc. So when she requires evidence of this she simply gets an updated certificate for any of her practices. Essentially then you are not doing it yourself.

Oh and welcome to the forum, please feel free to introduce yourself in the Welcome section.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

I was asked by one of the teachers at the school if I could cover the event and i'm sure there would be school staff present. however it looks like they're one of the schools that will insist on the DBS accreditation.

Strictly speaking you don't need one and shouldnt be applying for one (And DBS will be happy to tell you you arent eligible if you ask them) , however if the school feels you must have one then they should be applying for one on you (of course they don't have the time for that now)

assuming its a state school you could ask to see the DoE risk assesment that states you need one (there won't be one because the DoE standard risk assessment only requires them for unsupervised or regular acess to minors) , however you won't persuade them of this so i'd just file it under lifes too short and move on...

I have one from my day job , which satisfies anyone who asks, although its only specifically covers my day job employment.. (the irony being that you could make a certificate in photoshop in about ten minuites and no one would ever check its legit .. although I of course don't actually advocate doing that)

Last edited:
Back