Creating a dreamy look on the lens

Kerry Ashleigh

Name
Kerry
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I am doing a project at college about landscapes and my concept is photography places that bring back memories from my childhood.

I have thought about creating a dreamy sort of look to give the feel of memories.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out on how to achieve this. A few people have said things like acetate sheets with Vaseline on them, held in-front of the lens.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to approach this? Would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Kerry

a cheap filter screw it on to the lens and vaseline on it and leave a circle in the middle or a bit of glass or plastic manual focus the lens then hold the the glass or what ever in front of it

Thankyou, I've just bought some acetate to put vaseline on. Will try this out over the weekend and post the results.

Thanks again!

If its cold , breathing on the front element can have a similar effect if you swiftly shoot while the fogging clears

Another way was using an old pair of tights.
Different denier, held in place with an elastic band, with a hole in the middle.
Non invasive and non messy!

Try photographing through things. Like those clear acrylic christmas ornaments you can get.

If you're looking for inspiration, prep or perhaps just some artist research (it being for college & all haha) I'd recommend taking a look at Keith Carter's work! Beautiful traditional work with interesting use of focus & blur to add a dreamy look.

Back