Creating grunge HDR portraits

Name
David Bridges
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I have gcse art mock exam in a very short time and part of my final piece will be 3 photographs with that HDR grunge look to them. How do you create them ? Is there a tutorial out there or can anybody help me out. I'm looking for some technique similar or identical to Joey Lawrence's stuff. If anybody can help i would really really appreciate it.

Thanks

Dave

How do i get my hands on photomatix and is it free ? Ive got photoshop CS2 though...

Its all in the guide. Links, tips, the works. First result on google for "hdr guide" too.

Hmm don't think i can get or afford photomatix as the exam is in a few days. But the guide is great !!! the images on the site too are amazing, im glad you've showed me that :D

You can produce sample shots from the free version of photomatix, but it is watermarked with their logo (but if you preview you HDR as you do the settings at the 1024 setting you can then print screen to get a none watermaked version (its not as good as it would produce normally though).

Thankyou too for showing us Joey Lawrences site! Thats some really nicely lit and processed stuff he has there.

*bump* just to see if anybody has any more suggestions

You could try a slightly different approach that would give a similar effect without using HDR. I cant find the thread its explained in, but its one of moomikes, if you pm [in case he misses this thread], he might be able to give you the link. The look won't be totally like those you have linked too [which are excellent btw], but with some playing of your own using mikes technique as a starting point, you could possibly get the style of image you are after. Just an idea... ;)

His people gallery btw, which I am totally jealous of :LOL:#

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=1064

Thanks Yvonne :love: (cheque is in the post :LOL:)

I find that HDR is very impractical for portrait photography (I am not saying that people don't do it amazingly well - it just doesn't suit me) & I prefer to alter my images using adjustment layers & dodging & burning style effects to introduce more contrast & increase detail.

You can find a few samples & info about my processing technique here (linky in my first reply to peoples comments (y))

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=35236

Hi,
Photomatix seems the de facto tool, however, have a look at : http://www.mediachance.com/hdri/index.html.

Its a lot cheaper than Photmatrix although I've only played very briefly with them both so I can't really offer a comparison.

I get the feeling its easy to overdo the effect and although its looks startling initially I think it will lose its attraction as more people use the technique.

The key to good HDR is several well exposed shots to start with. Theres no need to limit yourself to 3 - look at 5 or even 7 as an alternative. Just keep your aperture constant to avoid freaky focussing!!

A good alternative to photomatix is FDR tools - google it for the website (i cant remember!) but i think there is a free trial that may or may not be watermarked.

An option you have at your fingertips with CS2 is to build your image using layers and layer masks. Take your time and build your own :)

2003157906207032512_rs.jpg

Its not really HDR but it is an attempt.

Looks quite cool :) I've played with FDR Tools, quite a bit as I'm reviewing it for my new guide and well I just didn't get on with it. Short answer as I'm saving it for my new guide :D

Great attempt there - very moody. You might just want to reduce the noise a little. It may not be apparent on a decent monitor but on these over bright piles of plop we have at work the side of the face looks overly speckled.

really like the photograph though (y)

Back