Creatures of the night

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Whilst in Costa Rica, I spent some time exploring the pristine forests adjacent to the Sierpe estuary after sunset...rather than start multiple threads, I'll just update this one with (hopefully!) interesting photo's as I work through my memory cards.

Giant Owl Butterfy (Caligo illioneus) resting:

I was keen to photograph tarantulas and whilst they were easy to find, they really weren't keen on hanging about to have their picture taken.

This female quickly scuttled back to her hole...

You don't want to upset them to the point that they start shedding the urticating hairs on their abdomen!

Many thanks Kevin and yes, it is a great country.

We have only visited some of the mountainous interior and the Pacific coast and would like to explore the Caribbean coast at some point.

Last edited:
Tailless Whip Scorpions - look a little scary, but completely harmless to humans

Last edited:
Reactions: RIR
Nice photographs. We were there in December - for the second time. It becomes addictive.

Thank you Robert.

Definitely a country with so much to see - this was our first visit in the dry season, so quite different to previous trips.

Fewer frogs for a start! :(

A very large (~7") fishing spider...front legs resting on the water surface waiting patiently for unsuspecting prey to pass...

Many thanks Kevin and yes, it is a great country.

We have only visited some of the mountainous interior and the Pacific coast and would like to explore the Caribbean coast at some point.

I thought with your Potoo image you'd already gone to Tortuguero, we saw 2 from our boat in the area but since I was sitting on the wrong side I didn't.

We saw the 'stick bird on a stick' in the Sierpe estuary where we rented an 'off grid' (accessible only by boat) house...one of several we saw, but the youngster made this sighting special for me.

I think Potoo's are reasonably widespread in Costa Rica....spotting them is the tricky bit!

All of the photos in this thread were also taken in the forests adjacent to the Sierpe estuary.

Last edited:
As mentioned earlier in this thread, it was dry season when we visited this time, and it was very dry!

So far fewer frogs to be seen than on previous visits, but I still saw a few:

Glass frog (unsure which one?)

Rain frog:

Golfodulcean poison-arrow frog (Phyllobates vittatus)

Last edited:
Blue jeans poison frog (Oophaga pumilio) This guy was tiny - maybe 1cm long.

By contrast, Smoky Jungle frogs (Leptodactylus pentadactylus) are huge - maybe 20cm!

Finally one of my favourites, the Green and Black Poison-dart frog (Dendrobates auratus)

Back