Credit note (can this be right) Update

I think legally once you accepted the credit note you gave up your right to cash. I can't imagine that the owner would risk reputational damage for £5.
I would look up the company on company webcheck or duedil, get the name of the owner or MD and write directly to them.

I think legally once you accepted the credit note you gave up your right to cash. I can't imagine that the owner would risk reputational damage for £5..

At the end of the day, a credit note was accepted in August last year, which had a 3 month lifespan and we are now just over 6 months from date of issue.

Whether the credit note should / shouldn't have been offered / accepted its a bit late now.

Personally, if it was within a week I would have requested and stood my ground for a refund - if the unit was as new / sealed / boxed etc...obviously they must have been happy to take the regulator back (as they offered a credit note), but it's a long while since I've been in, so don't know what there refund policy / notices (if any) say...

Exactly.
The time limit was/is there in black and white.
When do we abdicate responsibility for reading?

Exactly.
The time limit was/is there in black and white.
When do we abdicate responsibility for reading?
Probably around the same time we abdicate responsibility for retailers to know what they're talking about and provide correct information.
I'd also say that whilst it's up to the receiver of the credit note to read the terms, it would also be good practice for the retailer to highlight the limited time frame for use.
Pity we couldn't all be perfect like you Ruth eh? :p:D;)

Last edited:
Personally, if it was within a week I would have requested and stood my ground for a refund - if the unit was as new / sealed / boxed etc...obviously they must have been happy to take the regulator back (as they offered a credit note), but it's a long while since I've been in, so don't know what there refund policy / notices (if any) say...

How would you stand your ground for something that you aren't actually entitled to? Buying instore has no right of refund. (Leaving aside the unprovable missold/wrong information argument).

How would you stand your ground for something that you aren't actually entitled to? Buying instore has no right of refund. (Leaving aside the unprovable missold/wrong information argument).
Do you really think any decent retailer would want to get involved in a stand off about unprovable missold/wrong information for the sake of £5?
I take it you've never worked in retailing? Where plenty of customers get outcomes that they are not entitled to. It's called customer service.

From what the OP has admitted, he hasn't given the retailer a chance to rectify any situation. Chances are that they would have extended the credit note without a quibble and maybe even added a couple of quid.

Probably around the same time we abdicate responsibility for retailers to know what they're talking about and provide correct information.
I'd also say that whilst it's up to the receiver of the credit note to read the terms, it would also be good practice for the retailer to highlight the limited time frame for use.
Pity we couldn't all be perfect like you Ruth eh? :p:D;)

Yes, I can read.
It's a curse.

Do you really think any decent retailer would want to get involved in a stand off about unprovable missold/wrong information for the sake of £5?
I take it you've never worked in retailing?

I have actually, so by "stand your ground" you mean create a scene with a stand off?

You can't stand your ground and demand the refund when a refund isn't the usual outcome, what you would be doing was trying to sweet-talk a goodwill gesture which doesn't normally get given to belligerent customers standing their ground demanding something they don't actually have a right to...

I have actually, so by "stand your ground" you mean create a scene with a stand off?

You can't stand your ground and demand the refund when a refund isn't the usual outcome, what you would be doing was trying to sweet-talk a goodwill gesture which doesn't normally get given to belligerent customers standing their ground demanding something they don't actually have a right to...
Fair enough. I'm not saying I'd go in there all guns blazing, but customers do, and more often than not get what they want. If I'd been given incorrect advice, there's no way that I'd ever accept a credit note, as a full refund would be the expected outcome.

Fair enough. I'm not saying I'd go in there all guns blazing, but customers do, and more often than not get what they want. If I'd been given incorrect advice, there's no way that I'd ever accept a credit note, as a full refund would be the expected outcome.

Im not disagreeing with your sentiment, morally he deserves his money back, but the point is there is no way to prove the incorrect advice, what would you do then if they stood their ground and said "it's a credit note or no return"?

There are plenty companies willing to shoot themselves in the foot PR-wise over a minimal value return refusal.

Last edited:
Result!
Although to be fair, they may have done that if you'd gone in. :)
What you going to buy :p

At the time the conversation went:-

Me, Why can't you give me the refund in cash
Them, This is the way we do it.
Me, That doesn't seem right
Them, It's just the way we do it. It's as good as cash, just offset it against your next purchase.

The only difference is, cash doesn't run out after 3 months.

Back