Creepy and crawlie

• Thread starter CinnamonDonkey
  • Start date
C

CinnamonDonkey

Hi all,

Here's my first attempt at shooting spiders. Much harder than I thought it would be. Besides the fact that I only have the standard lens that came with my 350D and it does not go in as far as I would like... this little guy was very much camera shy and took some coxing (he kept running away and hiding :crying: ).

All comments appriecated... I'm still a learner and all advice is useful.

One thing I would say is that I took these shots by hand without a tri/mon pod... he was moving around way too much.

1305178927_262cc19e17.jpg

1305177971_9ee8d500fe.jpg

I think perhaps it would have been nicer if I could have got this guys face in the second shot.

Nice start Shaun and you've done well using the kit lens. Be careful you don't get hooked on insect photography :bonk: there's no way back :wacky:

kit lens isn't ideal for this but you've done well. Flash effect is maybe a bit strong on the second but not too bad.

:agree: Very good although the flash is a little harsh :)

Also, when you're applying a copyright symbol, you can hold the Alt key and type 0169 to get a © symbol :)

I used the built in flash, I guess I need to save my pennies for a flash unit with a diffuser. Also what sort of lens would be better for this sort of shot?

Ewan - thanx for the © symbol tip :). I was too lazy to look it up myself ;) I used to use the extended character set all the time back in the old days.

Any type of dedicated macro lens would give the best results (1:1 ratio preferably) though it is possible get perfectly good results with non-dedicated lenses though (as you have shown here)

If you do a search for macro using the forum search then you'll get all kinds of advice, tips & pics so as you can study the different styles, etc (y) (Almost forgot to recommend taking a look in the macro forum :bonk: :LOL:)

Nice start Shaun and you've done well using the kit lens. Be careful you don't get hooked on insect photography :bonk: there's no way back :wacky:

personally, I don't have to worry, my first insect shots were rubbish:LOL: these, however, are rather good, think you may have a problem, Ha Ha Ha :LOL: Good Luck with your future lens purchases! :D :D :D

(Joe has been chasing me out of Jessops at lunchtimes.:geek:..:LOL: )

Thanx for the vote of confidence guys, it's very much appreciated :D

Back