Crematorium Tour

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Bit unusual day out with daughter and grandchildren as part of Edinburgh open doors day Mortonhall Crematorium were doing tours of the proccess of cremation.This was an excellent tour well done by the staff members and very imformative blow by blow involving a complete tour above and below the crematorium from the placing of coffin in to furnace and the grinding down of remains to ashes, the only downside was that my camera batteries died just at beginning, so this was only real pic I managed.My daughter got rest on her p&s so hope fully will post these here later.Have to say grandkids were not phased out one little bit by this this obviously not everyones cup of tea but I hope I dont offend anybody.

This coffin empty by way just there to show set up for entrance to furnace.

readytogo.JPG

nice one Jaco...nice subject..:nono:My mother passed away last thursday,am going to day to the funeral director to organise her funeral..her choice was cremation...so i needed to see this image this morning...:thumbsdown: but you were'nt to know all that

i find pictures of things/places you wouldn't normally see very interesting so great post.

i used to dig graves, dig up graves and bury people for a job whilst i was saving money to buy a campervan and go travelling, was quite interesting and fun.......................................................................................................................once the coffin didnt fit the hole............not good lol

:thumbsdown:

My wife went to a funeral the other year where it became apparant the diggers had dug the hole in the wrong plave (next to someone the relative detested). The funeral had to be delayed whilst they dug a new hole!

I'm not sure I would want to do it :thumbsdown:

I have to say that seeing black smoke coming from the crematorium chimney is one of THE most obscene scenes.

I know it's almost a fact of life BUT...............:thumbsdown:

hmm I think the thread tiltle should have given away the likely content of the OP's post so can be avoided. I guess our ghoulish nature draws us in. I'm intrigued by an open day at a Crem, I can think of places I'd rather be.

As for the image, I'm not sure about it, I think I'd prefer to see something that deals with the dignity of death, but I guess it is a clinical process and this shot portrays that well.

STARRIDER - really sorry to hear of you loss.

nice one Jaco...nice subject..:nono:My mother passed away last thursday,am going to day to the funeral director to organise her funeral..her choice was cremation...so i needed to see this image this morning...:thumbsdown: but you were'nt to know all that

Sorry for your loss, hope things get easier for you sooner.

Jaco you weren't to know, clearly.

Gary.

can you imagine doing that for a living day in day out,think id be on the drink

I'm guessing low light, no flash. He is a complete noob with the camera too, so is in the process of learning.

Gary.

Fair enough, hadn't noticed that to be honest. I just find comments like "Excellent" and "Nice one" laughable. Its not a good photo in any particular way, maybe ok as a startpoint for some c&c / advice etc.:cautious:

Fair enough, hadn't noticed that to be honest. I just find comments like "Excellent" and "Nice one" laughable. Its not a good photo in any particular way, maybe ok as a startpoint for some c&c / advice etc.:cautious:

Its fine as a "docu-photo" I guess. A record shot almost, although in time, he will pick up the settings.

He is using a D200 as well, not the easiest kit for a beginner.

Gary.

same here, nan pased away last week, and getting cremated on wednesday. its strange how you alwasy see lots of these kind of things when you have a family loss.

Thnx for all the comments as I said I did not mean to offend or upset people if I have my apologies .I did tone colour down from original and as gary says I am still getting to grips with d200 . The reflection is the lady who was conducting tour.There was a tog from Glasgow herald and post there at same time so hopefuly he might portray it in a better light from me.

Jaco :D You are on Pugwashes account :LOL:

Gary.

My wife went to a funeral the other year where it became apparant the diggers had dug the hole in the wrong plave (next to someone the relative detested). The funeral had to be delayed whilst they dug a new hole!

Why? Was there a possibility they might end up arguing with each other over plot boundries? :thinking:

Thnx for all the comments as I said I did not mean to offend or upset people if I have my apologies .I did tone colour down from original and as gary says I am still getting to grips with d200 . The reflection is the lady who was conducting tour.There was a tog from Glasgow herald and post there at same time so hopefuly he might portray it in a better light from me. sorry did this on pugwash`s account changed to mine .

Maybe I'm morbid but I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures! I bet it was quite an interesting tour :)

I'm not a huge fan of thought of the subject, however it's probably somewhere i'll only ever go once (and probably not know about it!). It's interesting to see what it's like in there though

S

I have photographed several funerals and find it an interesting subject

why?

Because no one else seems to touch the subject and that leaves me a huge chunk of the market

Interesting subject, not normally covered.

Would love to learn more about it, in particular the characters that work at these places.

thought provoking!

I have photographed several funerals and find it an interesting subject

why?

Because no one else seems to touch the subject and that leaves me a huge chunk of the market

There's a market for funeral pics? Is it the same sort of thing as with wedding pics, do people want their picture taken posing with the corpse etc?

When my father died, it was his wish that the hearse was followed by a line of recovery trucks which I organised with the help of local recovery companies, I asked my friend to take photos of the cortege (sp?) as I wanted something to remember, odd some may think, but I don`t give a wassit.....

We caused chaos, all these trucks (including a beautiful american heavy wrecker) going up the main road - I drove the lead truck, our flatbed with all the flowers on the back behind the hearse! LOL. I always makes me smile, my dad would`ve loved it!

He actually wanted us to put the coffin on the back of the truck, but I couldn`t do it. I guess from this post is that you never now why people may want pictures, we all look at it differently.

There's a market for funeral pics? Is it the same sort of thing as with wedding pics, do people want their picture taken posing with the corpse etc?

Its just not like that:thinking:

Its a way of documenting the day as it happens BELIEVE ME it gives the family something to look back on, not everyones cup of tea i know and it can take a while for people to understand but hopefully and i have done about 30+ now the family treasure the memories. My last customer spent over £1000 with me so yep its worth doing but i stress do it properly.

I will post a few pics to show you some of my work in a few days tad busy at the mo

must admit, its not something I would have thought of, but I can see why people would want it.

Why the hell not !!

Minky Monkey, your story is amazing !!

I reckon my FIL would love a similar service, he's into 1950's trucks and owns 2 Bristol flatbeds. He's a fanatic....

Photos of the day would be a lovely reminder !!

f1.JPG

f2.JPG

f3.JPG

f4.JPG

:D

Borats, if you can organise it, do it. It`s something a little different to remember someone by! I wondered how on earth I was going to organise it, in the end I just had to ask and they all jumped in to help. As I say, a difficult day, but it makes me smile!

Nothing new under the sun. I the earliest days of photography, photographing the dead laid out and the funeral was seen as commonplace. They were much more used to death and dealing with it than we are today.

I find it an interesting picture and an interesting subject. The photos of the flowers from my dad's funeral are in the family photo album along with weddings and christenings. It's an inevitable part of family life and now (nearly 20 years on) I look back at those pictures with fond memories...

Back