Cricket International - Restrictions Telephoto Lens

Name
Nicholas
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All.

I was recently to the England Vs. Pakistan Cricket match at Headingley, first time I have ever been to such a venue and match thoroughly enjoyed it.
Anyway I took my camera along Canon 400D with a 70-300mm lens and found a position where I would not be obstructing anyone’s view, and quite happily starting shots of the first innings all went well, then in the second innings I was approached by an official asking if I a member of the press. I replied no and then he asked if I was using a telephoto lens, to which I replied "Yes", from this I was informed that since the telephoto lens is considered to be for professional use I was ask to refrain from using the telephoto lens, and only use a normal lens I am assuming here something such as the 28-80mm I also use.
I had looked on the Yorkshire CC website concerning such matters as the taking of photo's but found nothing on about the above, I read on the Lords Website that any photos taken must be for private use only and not for gain, Rule 13.2 I seem to remember, but again nothing about the use of telephoto lens.

Finally, I have about 700 photos of the game at Headingley I took with the telephoto zoom lens I wish to place a selection of them up on our local cricket website for the members would there be such a problem with this?

Any information on the above would be gratefully appreciated.

thanks

Nicolass

Headingley has dozens of signs round the Cricket and Rugby grounds clearly saying that photography from the stands is banned, in fact if i remember corectly it says cameras are not allowed in the grounds.

Cant say the following for cricket but i have seen people have their gear confiscated and removed from the ground at the Rugby.

I read on the Lords Website that any photos taken must be for private use only

-----8<---------------

Finally, I have about 700 photos of the game at Headingley I took with the telephoto zoom lens I wish to place a selection of them up on our local cricket website

Private use... putting on a website is public use...

Cricket is on of those sports where photography is generally allowed.. and there are very little in the way of restrictions placed upon displaying them online. However it is up to each stadium whether or not to allow photography, and they can state any reason they like - it is their ground after all!

You can go to Lancashire for a county game and every other person seems to have a body and 70-300! I was at the Headingley ODI and did spot a good number of people in the crowd with their SLRs.. I must admit I haven't seen the photography ban signage that Gary has.. but I needn't look for it! :)

I must admit I haven't seen the photography ban signage that Gary has.. but I needn't look for it! :)
If you enter on St Michaels lane and go between the Carnegie Rugby stand and the new banquetiing suite to the Cricket pitch there is a large sign on the wall on the right about 3x2 ft which tells you all you need to know

If you enter on St Michaels lane and go between the Carnegie Rugby stand and the new banquetiing suite to the Cricket pitch there is a large sign on the wall on the right about 3x2 ft which tells you all you need to know

Headingley is my place to arrive late at.. so I usually run through there, bags flailing out behind me :LOL: Will have a look next time :)

Back