Critique a noob

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
New to photography (just got 1st dSLR this week, and have been out everyday so far with it :) its actually quite addictive!) I think over the course of the week I have improved slightly (have a look at my Flickr page in sig to compare with my earlier attempts...)

Anyway, here are a couple photo's I got today. 2 of them are of a mountain bike stunt team which came into work today, and the other 2 are of my local town hall (South Shields). Basically I am after any advice you can give me to help me improve, such as composition, WB, PP etc... Really appreciate it.

8662667959_8815bc4329_c_d.jpg

8663773444_c212b51f77_c_d.jpg

8663791366_615ab0523f_c_d.jpg

8662681675_df3244ddc9_c_d.jpg

Ist one the house in the bg is distracting.
Second looks good apart from the roof tops above trees and I've of possibly framed it a touch further left

The vibrancy of the house on the first one, as Steve said, is distracting. Maybe try reducing it? or try b&w? I really like the second and third shots though.

Thanks for the comments, agree with you on the 1st pic, that house is to vibrant. Also just noticed the last picture is crooked! Oops. Thanks again

I like the 3rd shot best, looks like it was a nice day!

First and second have distractions on the background, 4th I don't like the angle, it's too same old but the 3rd is definitely your best shot

Thanks again for the response, appreciate your feedback, agree with everything you lot have said. Still haven't got my head round DoF properly, so didn't want to risk it with the bike stunt shots as I only had one chance to get them, so if I had mucked up the DoF I wouldn't have had any shots at all! So, for those two shots I just used the 'sports' setting. In future I assume I would be better being in aperture priority, at about f/3ish?

Last edited:
That's a great start already, Dan. Look much better than my first shots!! :D

Back