Critique: A walk round Edinburgh. (Relative newcomer)

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello folks,
I'm new to the forum and so far it looks to be an excellent resource for learning how to work this bloody camera!

I was up in Edinburgh a few weeks ago and took my d3100 with a 35mm f1.8. I walked through the gardens then up the mound and down the mile. I was really quite pleased with some of these! You guys may or may not be though.

I've mainly been working on trying to get my composition right (although I did crop most of them), and I'm hoping the technical aspects will follow eventually.

This is taken from the graveyard at St. Johns.
DSC_0322.jpg

One of the closes off the Royal Mile:
DSC_0474.jpg

Standard castle shot:
DSC_0599.jpg

This is one of the many shops selling utter garbage on the Royal Mile. I wish I hadn't cut the top of the flag off though.
DSC_0510.jpg

I like this building:
DSC_0315.jpg

I like the way the cloud seems to follow the line of the buildings etc
DSC_0594.jpg

I'm aware there isn't much of a theme through these, I just saw things that I thought would look cool and went for it.

Any opinions/criticisms/pointers are welcome.
Regards,
Lewis

EDIT- Ok I've previewed it and the photos don't work! I'm going back and changing them to links instead, I didn't realise picasa didn't let you post photos. Sorry about that guys, I would still appreciate any input.

EDIT2-Fixed it?

Last edited:
hi Lewis and welcome

no 2 is the best for me

what the hell have they done to princes street???

nice pics and i know them tat shops the ones that play the rocking bag pipe music all day some nice shots of the castle

Thankyou folks! Number two is my favourite also. Princes Street has been ripped up so that the council can build there massive, late, over budget, german, GERMAN tram system. Bloody shambles the whole thing. Grrr.

Yep building the parliament (10x over budget), a tram system (so far years behind schedule and estimates of 20x over budget and smaller than originally planned! Seriously) and they now want to run the country independently. Where's my passport ?

Rant over back to thread. No.2 for me as well and i kinda like 4 just a pity the top of the flags chopped and it could do with a little contrast tweak.

Last edited:
Hi Lewis,

1/ This is under exposed and the cross is hiding part of the castle. Might have been better if you had moved to the left a touch.

2/ Agree with above, I think this is the best of the bunch.

3/ Again this would have looked better had you moved to the left and had more of the castle in view.

4/ Top of the flag :)

5/ The drain pipe on the right exaggerates the use of the wide angle lens. Something to watch out for in the future, it can be sorted in PP.

6/ Ah, the trams..............too much going on in that shot for me but would have benefitted from a lower angle?

Thankyou folks! Number two is my favourite also. Princes Street has been ripped up so that the council can build there massive, late, over budget, german, GERMAN tram system. Bloody shambles the whole thing. Grrr.

bet the folks in western suburbs are peeved...i take it the tram line will go to the airport...?

cheers
geof

Yep building the parliament (10x over budget), a tram system (so far years behind schedule and estimates of 20x over budget and smaller than originally planned! Seriously) and they now want to run the country independently. Where's my passport ?

Rant over back to thread. No.2 for me as well and i kinda like 4 just a pity the top of the flags chopped and it could do with a little contrast tweak.

:LOL:

yes..when i migrated to london you couldnt get away from the scots accent.
down here in cornwall i fit in just nicely with a bit of oo arr and a swirl of my kilt

cheers
geof

:LOL:

yes..when i migrated to london you couldnt get away from the scots accent.
down here in cornwall i fit in just nicely with a bit of oo arr and a swirl of my kilt

cheers
geof

Lol that might be a contingency plan if these numptys up here get there way.
A note to you English,Welsh and Northern Irish guys, don't believe the bo*****s spouted by Salmond on TV. He does NOT speak for the people of Scotland (as he goes to great pains to say every time a camera points at him) Its just clever propaganda by giving the illusion that we are all in agreement with his plans. Trust me, many are not.

On the Tram question, read this and weep.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/critics-blast-edinburgh-trams-scheme-1119119

Incompetence just doesn't cover it !

Lol that might be a contingency plan if these numptys up here get there way.
A note to you English,Welsh and Northern Irish guys, don't believe the bo*****s spouted by Salmond on TV. He does NOT speak for the people of Scotland (as he goes to great pains to say every time a camera points at him) Its just clever propaganda by giving the illusion that we are all in agreement with his plans. Trust me, many are not.

On the Tram question, read this and weep.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/critics-blast-edinburgh-trams-scheme-1119119

Incompetence just doesn't cover it !

“These figures show a basic lack of understanding.”..:crying::crying:

up the fortyfive!!

I wouldnt know about that nor really need to, all I do know is that its a massive, total cock up and I'm sure any figures that are more accurate will still bear that out.

Don't get the reference to the jacobite rebellion tbh. Lol. Is that pro severance from the UK ?

I wouldnt know about that nor really need to, all I do know is that its a massive, total cock up and I'm sure any figures that are more accurate will still bear that out.

Don't get the reference to the jacobite rebellion tbh. Lol. Is that pro severance from the UK ?

just a stupid rebellion reference...my bad..

i am a scot and have never ever felt any bad feelings or national hype against the english..
historically they were there first and have accepted all the great inventions by scots without any prejudice...;)

Back