Critique - Bass Light Painting

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Everyone!

Thought I would have a go at light painting I see everyone doing on here :)

Please take a look of my light painted bass guitar and let me know what you think and where I have gone wrong. This was my first go at this by the way.

I know that in picture 3 the guitar is not straight, but i didn't know how to correct this in Lightroom?

1:

Bass_LP_02 by Ben Silcox, on Flickr

2:

Bass_LP_01 by Ben Silcox, on Flickr

3:

Bass_LP_03 by Ben Silcox, on Flickr

4:

Bass_LP_04 by Ben Silcox, on Flickr

All these were taken with my 550d and kit 18-55mm lens.

Please let me know what you think?

Thanks,

Ben..

I quite like number 4. The light seems to work well on this shot.

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

I have just noticed how different these pictures look on my laptop compared to my iMac that I edited them on. On my iMac the black is BLACK and thats all you can see, take picture two for example, all I can see on the iMac is the bass guitar and nothing else, where as on my laptop I can see the light around it and even the blinds in the background, and in pic 1 I can see a lot more light on the floor around the headstock.

No 4 is the best of the bunch.

I find the composition on the set a little weak on the whole, I'd have liked to see the sweeping lines of the body brought into play more. The lighting on 1 looks patchy, the light on 2 is too straight along the strings in the area of the pick ups. 3 does nothing for me. Love the little LED lights around the body on 4

As a first go though, I commend you (y)

Might have to have a go at this light painting malarky :)

No 4 is the best of the bunch.

I find the composition on the set a little weak on the whole, I'd have liked to see the sweeping lines of the body brought into play more. The lighting on 1 looks patchy, the light on 2 is too straight along the strings in the area of the pick ups. 3 does nothing for me. Love the little LED lights around the body on 4

As a first go though, I commend you (y)

Might have to have a go at this light painting malarky :)

Thank you for your comments. I know what you mean about seeing the body of the bass, I think my main issue was that the torch I had was quite big, and if I tried to go close to the edge the light would spread too much. I now realize after editing that I can change the exposure on certain areas, so my next go may be a little more successful.
I was quite chuffed with number four, the LED lights are just ones that are underneath the cupboards in my kitchen :)

Back