Critique my prize winning photo....

Name
Will
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, so maybe the title is a bit misleading, but my work just moved offices and they ran a photo competition for all employees ... and this photo won 3rd prize (£100 John Lewis vouchers, woot!).

I know what you're thinking, not exactly a high calibre competition, and not 1st prize, but this is the first time I've ever won any money with my photography, so I'm fairly happy.

As it turns out, I didn't have much time to take photos around the theme (change, movement and new beginnings), so all I got was one evening near the office. When I got back I wasn't overwhelmed by my pics, so I already have plenty of my own feedback, but I thought I'd share to get some critique from people better than I am. Just remember this was part competition, and part challenge to myself (to take me out of my comfort zone), as I've not done much night cityscapes before, and never trying to capture movement of people/car trails. I had great fun while I was out there messing around with different exposures (even though it was v cold) and I'm sure I'll great fun spending my winnings ;)

110119_MG_8306.jpg

does nothing for me- the converging verticles give it a strange apperance :eek:

perhaps shooting with a different lens may have helped- the lighting and exposure are very good (y)

Les

It's funny how photographers always look at things differently. Not one person (non-photographers) that have seen this image (which is now displayed on our company website), has commented on the converging buildings. I just pointed this out to someone next to me, and they admitted to having not noticed it, but now they have it looks a tiny bit strange.

I guess this is why is pays to understand your target audience. I've never used one, but from what I understand, I could use a tilt-shift lens to correct for this at capture time, but do I need to if no one is going to notice?

It does bug me personally though, so next time I'll probably try harder to avoid this.

Now dont get me wrong Will, I like the image- however: you posted here for critique from fellow Photographers and that what you got ;)

If you the guy who pays your bill doent mind then I guess its ok, until someone points out the converging building to your customer :shrug: Then it may be hard for you to justify this common mistake in shooting tall buildings

you could use a tilt/shift lens- but unless its a professional, paid for shot- I personally wouldnt bother with the expense as those lenses do not come cheap

Les (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
We do get used to seeing converging buildings seen in photos, but once i found lens correction in ps i must admit it annoys me in some images. I actually don't mind it in yours, it adds to the nature of the theme of change and new beginnings emphasizing the size of the buildings, as do the blurrey people.

I had a go with a quick dirty lens correction on your image. I don't think it makes the image better! You lose too much of the space and the buildings at the sides.

Last edited:
It isn't your fault, it's the wide angle.
Like the guys said, don't worry about investing in a TS just a few minutes on photoshop can sort this out.

Personally, I like the shot. The movement is captured well, although I seem to be wanting some more..

I had a go with a quick dirty lens correction on your image. I don't think it makes the image better! You lose too much of the space and the buildings at the sides.

I must admit I hadn't thought too much about this when taking the shot ... on the basis I could most likely deal with it in post. But in hindsight, perhaps I should have shot the scene a bit wider to give me a bit of room to play with. I'll chalk this one up to experience and remember for next time.

Personally, I like the shot. The movement is captured well, although I seem to be wanting some more..

Me too. The original plan was to get a whole mass of blurred people flooding across scene to convey the busy nature of Canary Wharf, but I found it difficult to manage. I think it was because it was getting quite dark at this point, and everyone was wearing dark coats, so there wasn't much light reflecting off them into my lens - more people walked across during the exposure than actually appeared visible in the shot. I guess I needed to be there 30mins earlier.

I quite like it as it is. The verticals aren't really an issue as the essence of the photo is that of the imposing buildings crowding the people below.

It's a good photo.

I don't mind converging buildings in a shot like that.

Congratulations on your win.

I bet you spend the prize money on more gear:)

Last edited:
ignoring the converging buildings; the exposure, lighting and movement have been captured well and..........you won some dollar so well done and nice shot :clap:

I agree with seefarr. Give the guy some credit! Congratulations on your competition winn

I particularly like the colour of the sky contrasting against the building lights. To me, the converging lines emphasise the height of the buildings. Congratulations on your prize/win :)

I agree with most of the posts above, idea and exposure/colours are great and worthy of winning a prize, but the verticals do jump out at me. It is something I've started noticing a lot since moving to FF, so not I tend to capture my images with a wider composition to allow for correcting.

I've still got an image where I'm trying to sort the verticals, it was for a friend's wall, I printed it for him, he loves it, but I'm not printing it for myself until I can get the verticals nailed.

Well done on the win.
As for the photo itself anyone with a little photographic knowledge can find ways they think a photo can be improved, but those just looking at it as a picture and not into photography will find it quite acceptable. Obviously your fellow office workers liked it and that is what photography is all about.

Realspeed

Back