Critique my website (grantgb.com)

Are you trying to build a single page folio site? It's got that kind of feel, but it's looking a bit cluttered. You might get some good ideas to incorporate from this link. I'm a big fan of minimalist design and single page websites.

Love your work Nick, I squeeze in a bit of photography when I can peel myself away from VZi ;)

I think you've got too much on the front page, makes it feel like a 'blog' site whereas its actually all of your content. In my opinion you need to trim this right down and link to the content behind it

Personally, it needs more white space, and a few dividing lines if you are going to keep that amount of content on there.

I would split it all into separate pages, also for the added reason of page load time.

looks much better as a front page in my opinion, some easy to navigate menus will finish it off perfectly

Thanks guys :) Hello Grant!

OK, I've made up a non-fuctioning mock up for a new layout. The top photo will be a slideshow as per the old site and with navigation menu will be the same. This will be slow to load as it is not optimised...

http://www.grantgb.com/indexnew.htm

What do you think?

Much better. It's actually kinda funky. It looks like it's had a lot of work put into it :) I like it mate.

It's looking great. One of the best member sites so far in my opinion. Very classy. I'd give it a more in depth critique but I just woke up :D

Only real criticisms are the paperclip on the homepage which covers up too much of the text underneath it, the lack of a contact form on your Contact page and the external links to websites opening in the same browser window.

Other than that it's a hugely impressive and extremely stylish piece of work.

the lack of a contact form on your Contact page and the external links to websites opening in the same browser window.

That's what the link to his email address is for and that's what "Open in new window" on your web browser is for :)

That's all well and good, but I prefer a Contact Form. It's neater, sleeker and just feels more professional.

I dislike being forced to open my own email in order to send someone else one, especially if I'm on their website.

There is a lot more to the site than at first is apparent. When I first looked at it I thought it was a fairly simple site with a few of your pics on (good pics though I must say) and my comment was going to be that it was quite tedious to look at each picture. I really wanted to look at more pics but I was finding the navigation just too cumbersome.

Then I found the shop and the links to all the other links you have on there. As was interested to look and it looks like you have some great images on there. You also seem to have a link to a bookshop which I tried to have a look at. All prices in Dollars? The problem was that I couldn't find anyway to get back to your site.

I think that might be a great site but it seems very confused.

Are images on the various sites your own images?

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback.

Yes Badger UK the images are all mine. The books are at Blurb you can change the currency as suits on thier site, they are pretty expensive now the pound has collapsed but were better priced before. I'm considering doing a limited run of the NY Minute and a new book I am working on so I can get the prices down. I'm looking at costs and how to get an ISBN (if anyone has advice I'd be grateful).

I think maybe I need to put a link back to my FlickR on the front page (rather than under the menu) as this is an easy way to navigate my shots.

BTW this is how the page looked when this thread started...

http://www.grantgb.com/index301208.htm

As for the email form, well I can't decide if I like the idea of one or not to be honest!

Back