Critique on processing please....

Edit My Images
Yes
This is a different take on my favourite shot from today. What I'd like to know is, do you think this works? And, could I have done it better, if so, how?

Thanks for your time in advance.

P.s. Nearly entered this one in 'texture' but decided against it.

P.p.s I can post the original if anyone wants to compare and contrast.

Wheelgear-Sepia.jpg

Seen the original and....my answer is No. The colour in the original helps to distinguish shape, form, texture, detail etc. With this version much of the shot just blends in with only the large cog-wheel standing out. HTH.

regards

So what did you do then Spence?

Personally when converting to B&W I like to look at the three channels (RGB) in isolation to see which one give more of the feel I'm after. I've found the blue channel seems to give a more stark look due to the lack of blue information captured by sensors.

:)

BTW, where abouts was that taken? I have a suspicion it might be one of the swing bridges.

Having just seen the colour version in the photo sharing section, I'm afraid the B&W version does nothing for me. The colours help to bring the shot together.

Actually like the monochrome conversion. Only changes I would make are to increase contrast in right area around bolts to make them stand out more, plus crop out bottom as too plain in Mono vs detail above....had a go here :-

Wheelgear.jpg

Crop is better but probably looses the 2x3 aspect ratio.

ok, had a fidlle and faff with it, I think I'm happier now, especially as the orientation is now how it was when I took the shot ;)

wheelgearfinalb_amp_w.jpg

Let me know what you think please!

The orientatoin now looks wrong! lol

Has a dark and greasy look to it. What's it off?

One of the small hand operated cranes around where the narrowboats moor up. If you looked up you'd see a church and some funny blue swing bridge thing. Opposite side of the water to the Thekla!

(my geography is attrocious!)

Oh, I know where, the Thekla reference located it immediately.... <shudder>

SammyC said:
Oh, I know where, the Thekla reference located it immediately.... <shudder>

Cripes...too many drunken nights there ;)

Yeah, but Dave, do you want to remember them???!? It's the only place that you NEVER get turned away from regardless of state!

:D

LOL.... must admit not a nice place to be feeling too drunk.

Back