Critique Please: Clients Baby....

EdinburghGary

Reply not Report
Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
From earlier today. Still waiting on my baby to arrive!

Critique always welcome. I tried for both hands, but had no chance - he kept stirring and pulling the other hand away.

Another:

4907017077_82225dba19_z.jpg

Gary.

Last edited:
lovely Gary - this is really gorgeous, skin tones look good too. I dont mind not seeing his other hand as I can see it is underneath so nothing looks chopped. I kind of wish the blanket fold wasnt there though. When is your baby due?

aw that is superb!

(looks just as good without the writing too!)

lovely Gary - this is really gorgeous, skin tones look good too. I dont mind not seeing his other hand as I can see it is underneath so nothing looks chopped. I kind of wish the blanket fold wasnt there though. When is your baby due?

Cheers :D Folds bugging me too. It was lovely at start of shoot as well :LOL:

My baby? 4 days ago!!!

Gary.

yup #1 is much better
not that #2 is bad, just not quite in the same league!

These are superb, really well lit and the dark b/g and the floor really work too.

I prefer the first one also but the 2nd would have been great had he been level on a full size cushion from head to toe....bit uncomfortable looking but he does looks happy. (I love that milk induced trance). 4 days......wow, exciting times ahead Gary. Lots of practice photographing newborns for you. ;-)).

Edit
How would a crop from the waist look? He is so very cute.

Last edited:
I prefer the first one also but the 2nd would have been great had he been level on a full size cushion from head to toe....bit uncomfortable looking but he does looks happy. (I love that milk induced trance). 4 days......wow, exciting times ahead Gary. Lots of practice photographing newborns for you. ;-)).

Edit
How would a crop from the waist look? He is so very cute.

I will have a look at a crop. I have another set I want to post, taken with another forum photographer a few weeks back. Need permission first, but it was a great shoot - we had much more time first time round. When my wee one is here, I will slowly nail this type of shoot I hope :)

These are superb, really well lit and the dark b/g and the floor really work too.

Ta, I really enjoy using this setup.

yup #1 is much better
not that #2 is bad, just not quite in the same league!

Agreed, ta for the feedback :D

I think they are both gorgeous, especially the reflection. I am feeling a bit broody myself, hope all goes well with the birth.

Spooks

Hey Mate,

I truly love number 1, yes it's a shame that his hand wasn't in the shot - but his expression and hair (the hair is amazing) far outweigh that negative.

I love the dark floor in number 2 and still think it is a cracking shot, but tend to agree with the lack of cushion causing a slightly unnatural twist to his body.

Very photogenic baby though - look forward to seeing these other photos, if you can manage to swing permission.

Cheers

Paul

Love your first photo, ditch the lyrics!

Any crit of these would be nitpicking, I always look at your shots as a parent. I, along with every other parent, would love these shots if they were of our babies and I'd buy, buy, buy.

Good work.

Any crit of these would be nitpicking, I always look at your shots as a parent. I, along with every other parent, would love these shots if they were of our babies and I'd buy, buy, buy.

Good work.

Love your first photo, ditch the lyrics!

Hey Mate,

I truly love number 1, yes it's a shame that his hand wasn't in the shot - but his expression and hair (the hair is amazing) far outweigh that negative.

I love the dark floor in number 2 and still think it is a cracking shot, but tend to agree with the lack of cushion causing a slightly unnatural twist to his body.

Very photogenic baby though - look forward to seeing these other photos, if you can manage to swing permission.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks guys :)

A wee cutey I agree. Lyrics, not sure why I chose them. I liked the black space, but thought it needed a little filling :D

G.

wow! the first one is brilliant! like the reflection and black b/g.
just love his hair...ha ha ha!

another vote for #1 ;]

Ta :)

wow! the first one is brilliant! like the reflection and black b/g.
just love his hair...ha ha ha!

I think the reflection is what attracted me to this photo....

how did you light this Gary?
They are lovely :)

Bowens Octobox 150 & Gemi Pro 1000watt light on power level 5. Straight on but quite high to create a softer light (feathered).

Front of shop has 12 curtain backdrops, I selected black and had baby 6ft from it. Distance from octobox, 3ft maybe. Simple one light setup, nowt fancy :)

Gary.

I forgot to say, this was an "on white" request.... Didn't even try :D. I explained why and she was cool doing it this way instead.

Love the first one, the expression is lovely.
No2 is nice but the baby looks uncomfortble just in the way he is laid.

Looks like a great congratulations card :)

Really good (y)

I prefer the first image, the curl really finishes it off.

Very very nice.. but while technically the 150 octo with a 1000Ws flash is a single light setup, it would take all my flashes, softboxes and a silk bedsheet to duplicate :)

Love the first one, the expression is lovely.
No2 is nice but the baby looks uncomfortble just in the way he is laid.

Looks like a great congratulations card :)

Really good (y)

I prefer the first image, the curl really finishes it off.

Yeah very cute hair...

Very very nice.. but while technically the 150 octo with a 1000Ws flash is a single light setup, it would take all my flashes, softboxes and a silk bedsheet to duplicate :)

:LOL:

Absolutely brilliant,the little hair tuft is great.:):clap:

First one looks a touch over-exposed but you've already stated elsewhere that it is what sells well. That said it is a stunning portrait. I'm really impressed.

Second one is well lit and I love the floor. The little one does look a bit awkward on that cushion though.

Andy

Absolutely brilliant,the little hair tuft is great.:):clap:

First one looks a touch over-exposed but you've already stated elsewhere that it is what sells well. That said it is a stunning portrait. I'm really impressed.

Second one is well lit and I love the floor. The little one does look a bit awkward on that cushion though.

Andy

Ta mate, agree re cushion.....

I think no 2 is really outstanding :)

with no 1, with those particular words, I might have liked to see baby without a rugby shirt - only because it would have made him look more vulnerable and the words more poignant if you know what I mean :)

lovely shots, and the lighting is brilliant!!! (no pun intended!!!!! :LOL:)

I think no 2 is really outstanding :)

with no 1, with those particular words, I might have liked to see baby without a rugby shirt - only because it would have made him look more vulnerable and the words more poignant if you know what I mean :)

lovely shots, and the lighting is brilliant!!! (no pun intended!!!!! :LOL:)

Cheers :)

I have a few minus shirt, will post at some point. Thanks for all feedback guys :)

Back