T

The Edge

Again, this did a lot worse than i felt it should in the aforemetioned comp:-

Theme is The Modern World.

Picture title "Relics in a Throwaway Society"

relics1a.jpg

Larger link here:- http://premium1.uploadit.org/chrismartin00/relics1.jpg

It beat Matty's but thats about all!

Someone said that the wrinkled cloth didn't help.

What do you guys think?

yeah the background lets it down really, maybe a different background would have given a different feel to it as the background is very domineering...

Thats interesting.

I thought the background looked quite drab and added to the "old relic" feel that i wanted to generate. I had the problem of finding something that the videotape would show up on - plain black was out! I didn't think a light colour was appropriate, again because of the feel necessary.

The wrinkles were not entirely deliberate, but again added - IMO - to the unkempt and unwanted feel.

Maybe it would have been better in black and white...............

Thanks for the thoughts - please keep them coming :)

try it in black and white, it may make a difference!

rather than B&W , you could possibly turn it to a ' negative ' ,

this would make the tape stand out and transform the look quite a bit,
maybe , lol ????

MyPix

Ok "critique requested"? Well then here`s mine.

It doesn`t grab me. As a newcomer to photogtaphy I may not appreciate the intracisisies of the photo and what it took to produce it but then I bet most people wouldnt. Some photos grab people (and I grudgingly :LOL: give Pook the honour of that foto he posted with the girl slumped in the chair) and some don`t. This one doesnt grab me in any way. In a gallery I would glance at it and move on. Nothing in it makes me want to stop and examine the image to see if there is anything I have missed on first inspection.

Again I am a noob and this is only my opinion, take it or leave it for what its worth!

For want of a better way to put it, without being brutal, at first glance, it looks like an eBay picture.
Quite busy, and even though I recognise every single one of those items (for what they are and their age), it took me a while to "decode" the image.
Nothing hit me straight away, certainly not the title you gave.

I don't mean to be brutal or offensive with that, merely an honest opinion of what my eyes saw, and what my brain thought.

I can see the good bits about the shot too, its just thats what my first impressions are :)

Now for that title, I would have done something like a needle and thread, or a sewing machine. Or a pair of elbow patches :)

But if I've been to harsh in my comments, please don't be afraid to tell me :)

Regards

That's fine guys, harsh is as good as anything :)

I wanted new but obsolete equipment, hence the choice if subjects.

We play a subjective game here, and because i choose something that grabs me doesn't mean it will grab everyone or even anyone.

I just wanted to be sure it was actually me :)

Back