Critique Critiques please New Forest Sunset

I like them both. No 1 might have been improved by using a reverse grad on the horizon to stop the sun blowing out?? I like the overall composition.
No2 has been over saturated, especially in the sunset colours. I think. I also think if you were keeping the tree in the photo, it needs to be fully in and not cropped off. Maybe further to the right and omitting the tree totally and using the path as a lead in line from the left corner may have added a different perspective??
Im only an amateur also so others may advise better.

reverse grad on the horizon to stop the sun blowing out??

This may save the sun blowing out as much (not completely) but at the same time would cause massive underexposure to the left and the right.
A cleaner way is to bracket the exposure so that it covers everything. In short edit every single one with the same settings (ignore noise / blown highlights) and match all exposures. Then it just takes a quick layer masking and blending in photoshop.
Once all is in place you should be able to brighten it a bit, particularly foreground (it is nearly clipping).

A similar case is in no2 just not so obvious. The really vibrant yellow bits are due to red channel being blown out. The remedy is the same.

In general sunset would be far easier to shoot once the sun starts to touch down the horizon. Furthermore, I would like something a little bit more organised in the foreground.

This may save the sun blowing out as much (not completely) but at the same time would cause massive underexposure to the left and the right.
A cleaner way is to bracket the exposure so that it covers everything. In short edit every single one with the same settings (ignore noise / blown highlights) and match all exposures. Then it just takes a quick layer masking and blending in photoshop.
Once all is in place you should be able to brighten it a bit, particularly foreground (it is nearly clipping).

A similar case is in no2 just not so obvious. The really vibrant yellow bits are due to red channel being blown out. The remedy is the same.

In general sunset would be far easier to shoot once the sun starts to touch down the horizon. Furthermore, I would like something a little bit more organised in the foreground.

Thank you very much for your reply.
Bracketing the exposure on my next attempt and off to find tutorials for layer masking in photoshop.
Onwards and upwards...

Back