Croft Nostalgia Weekend (Sun) - 7th August 2011

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
No
I was pleased to see there were more competitors and exhibitors than last year, though it seemed like there were less spectators and a lower proportion of spectators with cameras too. Presumably Saturday's weather scared most of them away but it worked well for me as a few of Saturday's races were moved to Sunday which meant I got more for my money - and I was getting plenty already.

More coming as I work through them, I think I might end up tweaking some of the above ones but I've been looking at a screen too long and need a break.

Last edited:
Horizon looks a tad off in shots 2, 3 and 4 :p

Actually, really like 2 and 4 (y)

Hi Daz.

Great to see some photos from what was a superb event. My pick from this selection is #2. Like that one a lot :).

Simon.

Cheers Simon. I saw yours on Flickr, were you shooting "through" the first two bits of the complex (the first left after sunny, then the right towards the hairpin) for your #2 and #14?

Daz

I guess you were the young bloke stood further along the back straight from me. I much prefer your angles of the Elan incident to mine.

What metering mode and focus points do you use for motorsport ?

Possibly - black coat, trousers and boots with a backpack that had some green panels on it (though I might have had the light grey rain cover over it) using a 40D with a grip and a white 70-200mm lens and occasionally another 40D without the grip with a 17-85mm lens.

I generally use manual mode so if I'm standing in a specific spot for a while I'll use spot metering. I use the "Highlight alert" and the histogram on the LCD screen to judge the exposure I want, find something to meter from (usually the tarmac or the rain cover on my bag) and look at what the meter needle is reading for that surface. This means that I can put the spot metering over the chosen surface occasionally, quickly check whether I need to adjust the exposure settings and know exactly how much to adjust it by without having to look at the images on the LCD screen and make a judgement about how wrong the exposure is.
For example if I've worked out that the exposure I want is 1/250, f/4, ISO 200 and that the tarmac will read as -2/3 on the meter I can keep checking it reads -2/3. If I check and it reads +/-0 I know I'm over exposing by two thirds and that changing the aperture by two thirds (to f/5.0) will correct it.
It's like using a grey card without having to carry one.

I have the focus point selection mapped to the "Multi-controller" control stick on the back of the camera body (you set this under "Custom Function III: Auto Focus/Drive", setting three and set it to option one "Multi-controller direct") so I can use a single focus point of my choice at any one time and switch between them quickly. Usually I use one of the bottom three focus points depending on where I'm going to place the car in the frame.

Yes that was you just up from me. Thanks for the metering guidance, I will try that out and see how my old brain copes with it all.

Cheers Simon. I saw yours on Flickr, were you shooting "through" the first two bits of the complex (the first left after sunny, then the right towards the hairpin) for your #2 and #14?

Yep, you're spot on with the location. You can get a nice shot if you get yourself right into the corner alongside the access gate. I usually also stand on a little portable 'step' to give me about another 8 inches in height to make sure I see over the top of the barrier and tyre wall. It's terrible being vertically challenged LOL.

I'll try and get a thread posted on here later on today or tomorrow evening latest.

Cheers,

Simon.

Yes that was you just up from me. Thanks for the metering guidance, I will try that out and see how my old brain copes with it all.

No worries, it's one of those things that sounds more complicated written down than it does when you're doing it. I think people tend to be scared of it because they think you're going to be changing exposure settings for every shot but the reality of it is that it's usually the same for quite a while.

Yep, you're spot on with the location. You can get a nice shot if you get yourself right into the corner alongside the access gate.
Ah, I thought you might have to be right into the corner to see along the turns. I didn't think the fence would go along far enough but evidently I was mistaken.

Great capture on 6! These elans have a habit of doing that, one did it at the gold cup t'other year. Favourite shot ahs to 4 though, really liking that. Tack sharp, bags of motion, lovely.

Back