Crop or Full Frame?

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Im thinking about making the move from a crop sensor (Nikon D5500) to a full frame, ideally id like to sell my Nikon and lenses for around £500...my question is could i get a 2nd hand full frame camera with a lens for £500-700 that would have an edge over the Nikon i currently have or would i be taking a big hit in MP/ISO performance etc etc?? I have no preference over camera brand

The reason im thinking about the move is most of my pictures are wide angle and like the advantage the full frame has on focal length!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Im thinking about making the move from a crop sensor (Nikon D5500) to a full frame, ideally id like to sell my Nikon and lenses for around £500...my question is could i get a 2nd hand full frame camera with a lens for £500-700 that would have an edge over the Nikon i currently have or would i be taking a big hit in MP/ISO performance etc etc?? I have no preference over camera brand

The reason im thinking about the move is most of my pictures are close up and like the advantage the full frame has on focal length!

Thanks in advance!
Wide angle close ups?

the advantage the full frame has on focal length!

That isn't really a reason to go FF, you can get equivalent FoV lenses for your crop camera easily enough.

The only FF you would get worth having is a D700 which is a cracking camera (I mourned the loss of mine) but sensor tech has moved on and I doubt you'd see much difference in terms dynamic range etc so again, that isn't a reason to change.

There are good reasons to go FF I just don't think your reasons are the right ones.

The reason im thinking about the move is most of my pictures are close up and like the advantage the full frame has on focal length!

Thanks in advance!
The focal length advantage of full frame? Do you mean the extra wide angle view you get? So I hear people say, but I've never understood that. As a crop sensor shooter for wide angle rectilinear perspective I have the Sigma 8-16mm, equivalent in angle of view to a full frame 12-24mm. 8mm on a crop sensor (or 12mm on a full frame) is a pretty extreme wide angle of view. You can photograph all four walls of a room while standing inside it. It's only very rarely that I want a wider angle than that. When I do I use the crop sensor Samyang 6mm fisheye. Apart from providing a very wide fisheye perspective, that can be partially or wholly defished in software, i.e. partially or wholly transformed to a rectilinear perspective, in those cases where the the full fisheye is a bit extreme, but a wider view angle than the 8mm of the Sigma 8-16mm is required.

But I must admit I only want such wide angle views in architectural shots where stance is limited, such as a complex staircase inside a building, or shooting an entire large building site from one corner of it. I hardly ever do wide close ups, so there may be a special advantage there.

That isn't really a reason to go FF, you can get equivalent FoV lenses for your crop camera easily enough.

The only FF you would get worth having is a D700 which is a cracking camera (I mourned the loss of mine) but sensor tech has moved on and I doubt you'd see much difference in terms dynamic range etc so again, that isn't a reason to change.

There are good reasons to go FF I just don't think your reasons are the right ones.
I agree with this 100%.

Thanks for replys all, good points made!

Maybe my reasoning for going FF isnt justified enough and im just wanting a FF for the sake of it, ill stick with the Nikon for now and look at FF when i have got the most out of it :)

What would your reasons be for going FF?

How about for relieving gas
Nothing wrong with GAS. All he needs is a reason so he does not feel guilty about not spending the money on something else. At the end of the day the original poster appears to want to sell what he has, so it is not purely about acquiring stuff.

I have no preference over camera brand

WHAT!

You'll get yourself kicked off the forum! Did you not know that brand is ALL that matters? And that unless you are using "My favourite brand" you might as well be using a homemade pin-hole camera.

Also you need to care deeply about some fraction of a percentage of some point about specification or the position of a button which means that "My favourite brand" is miles better than your old rubbish, even though the previous model of "My favourite brand" didn’t have this and it was still miles ahead of everything else.

:D

I went full frame and didn't regret it.

Decreased depth of field is a bonus and the full frame "look". Hard to describe.

Once you go FX I doubt you'll want to go back to crop again.

I had the D700 and loved it, the DR wasn't so bad as I took night shots with it no problem.

I have a Canon 6D now and equally love that.

What would your reasons be for going FF?
If a full frame camera is what you want then buy one. If you need other people to give you a reason to justify the buy dont cause then you dont need it and probably wont appreciate it. After buying my a6000 I had the chance to borrow the a7II and man was i disapointed. Yes there was some differences but they were subtle when comparing images and stand alone i couldn't tell if i didnt know. The only reason I really see is the difference i dof. I could lust for a D750 for my 85mm f1,4 afd

Last edited by a moderator:
Having read all the replies i think im happy to stick with the crop until i can see a better reason for an upgrade other than focal length and the real reason...quite fancying one! I still feel i can get a lot out of the camera and if anything its a couple lenses that i could do with investing in!!

:ty::pint:

Obviously the difference between crop and FF is not enough to justify the expense of the upgrade without a lot of agonising. So stop faffing about with half measures! What you want is a medium format camera. The differences between it and a full frame are more obvious than the differences between crop and full frame. You don't even have to scrutinise the prints with a magnifying glass. The entire camera looks different.

Obviously the difference between crop and FF is not enough to justify the expense of the upgrade without a lot of agonising. So stop faffing about with half measures! What you want is a medium format camera. The differences between it and a full frame are more obvious than the differences between crop and full frame. You don't even have to scrutinise the prints with a magnifying glass. The entire camera looks different.

You're right! Ive thrown caution to the wind and just ordered a Hasselblad H5D-200cMS, i cant wait to try this beauty out on some flower shots and sunsets!! :ROFLMAO:

Please post the link to where you bought one for £5-700. Asking for a friend...

Back