crop sensor camera or teleconverter

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
hi everyone

i currently own canon 5div with the usual lenses but ive just bought the tamron sp150-600 g2 lens im wanting a bit more length ( lol ) what are peoples thoughts a crop sensor body or teleconverter? the tamron 1.4 is a fortune and can buy a second hand body for the price, is anyone using the tamron??

TIA

steven

have you tried to crop in post with the camera you already have? It can be surprising have little difference there is between cropping and a teleconverter. Don’t forget you lose a stop of light with a 1.4 tc too.

Last edited:
I have the Sigma equivalent version which I use on a 5Diii and 7Dii. Although the difference is not great, I prefer the output from the 5Diii. I try to avoid TCs, Rob’s comment is very valid. I hadn’t realised how expensive the Tamron TC is. Try before you buy if possible.

Crop with that you have and use topaz gigapixel to bring the image back to size.

hank you all for that i must admit i cropped my moon shot right down in LR and it didnt look too bad

ive never herd or used topaz gigapixel isit free? ill download the free trial and give it a go. im not very techy and i only use lightroom 6

Last edited:
Using an x1.4 on a 150-600 variable aperture lens would be an absolute nightmare. Only the shortest focal lengths will AF, if at all.

I would go for a crop body, as already said you will lose a stop of light, AF may not work or be impaired, and crop bodies produce some great stuff.

The realistic option is a crop body, as you retain all AF functions, don't loose a stop of light, is effectively a teleconverter, and if pixel density is high can be cropped further.

You will probably get a noisier image, but that can be improved in PP.

Using an x1.4 on a 150-600 variable aperture lens would be an absolute nightmare. Only the shortest focal lengths will AF, if at all.
Not sure on canons but, I can use a 1.4tc on my Sony 200-600. It's f9 at 600mm and focuses on my A9. However it's still better to use the A9s crop mode and then use gigapixel to crop further and enlarge. You get effective 800mm odd at f/6.3 which is better than 600mm at f/9 in most circumstances.

Not sure on canons but, I can use a 1.4tc on my Sony 200-600. It's f9 at 600mm and focuses on my A9. However it's still better to use the A9s crop mode and then use gigapixel to crop further and enlarge. You get effective 800mm odd at f/6.3 which is better than 600mm at f/9 in most circumstances.

Canon will only AF to f/8 on their higher end sSLRs. f/5.6 on their more basic ones.

Back