Cropping and Aspect ratio

Name
Mandy Maloney
Edit My Images
No
Hi, I am quite new to photography and have started a Newborn photography company. I am very confused what is the best way to edit and crop or resize photos for my clients. They are all given digital images on a memory stick and I have been saving them as 8x10 cropping ratio. However if they want to print them in any other size I know this will effect the way the photo looks so does anyone know how I should be cropping and sizing them to be printed in any size? Kind Regards Mandy x

If the owner of the image wants to print the images in any other size then what's been provided, then that's up to them.
The only option you have if you wish to give your client that freedom of choice and make it easier for them to print and crop to their liking is to provide them the image in your camera native ratio without crop. From here they can crop down in whatever aspect ratio they desire.

Last edited:
Hi Geoff, thanks for the response. If I don't crop then how do I get rid of any parts I don't want in the photo?

You can't really cover all cases - if the customer is printing, that's outside your control.

Have you thought about A-sizes? If they were appropriate then you could just supply images cropped to say A3 or A4 at 300 ppi. Since the rest is up to the customer, it's their problem if they mess up at the print stage, & there's nowt you can do about that. But they can print at A5 or A6 if they want to from the same files.

Equally you could continue with 8 x 10" ...

Last edited:
Is this a real problem or just something you've thought could be a problem? Has anyone complained about the ratio? And of course you could always ask but I don't know how many people would know what you're talking about.

You're the photographer so you will know what framing and composition best suits, but if you want to leave the option for Clients to choose a different crop (say to suit and existing frame they have), maybe just leave a bit of extra blank space all round.

Is this a real problem or just something you've thought could be a problem? Has anyone complained about the ratio? And of course you could always ask but I don't know how many people would know what you're talking about.
Cheers Alan. Your response was going to be my next reply, the decision for the op should be based upon market research and feedback from clients rather than second guessing.

FWIW

Your camera produces image ratio of 1.5:1 i.e. the sensor is a 3:2 ratio

Yet on your website you are offering in the same package:-
10x8 print - this has an aspect ratio of 1.25:1

8x6 print - this has an aspect ratio of 1.33:1

IMO this makes no sense!

If you provide, as suggested by others above, the digital files cropped but sticking with the sensors native ratio of 3:2 then it is down to the client to decide if/when they print what further crop is pleasing to them. Plus, for a 'look' keep to one ratio of the prints you include.

Last edited:
Box, you've got all your ratios the wrong way round!

It sounds like the OP is a bit of a beginner so that will confuse her even more.......

I'd suggest to her that she sell prints rather than digital files anyway.
Drat!

I'll blame on my age - correctly phrased now ;)

PS and frankly I agree, she should sell prints too!

Back