Cropping and resizing for print

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
No
Hi after some advice please,

I shoot and process in raw and sometimes do a small amount of cropping at this point then convert to jpg.

I am concerned about affecting I
Image size for resale and print. What process/workflow should I adopt for finishing an image in a size format that i can use to resize to a variety of image sizes that people request.

The camera I use is a canon 1d mark iii if you need to know the sensor size

Thanks in advance

Image size and image resolution are two completely seperate things. In photoshop you should set the size of the image to be appropiate for the space it will be rendered in (eg, 30cm x 20cm) while the resolution should be set appropriate for the medium in which it will be presented (eg. 72dpi for display on the internet, 300dpi for printing).

And consider not using JPG as a working format because it loses image information. Prefer instead a lossless format like TIFF.

Last edited:
Not a direct answer but Lightroom has quite a good print module which allows you to choose all sorts of crop and size options, good for printing at home.

Otherwise wouldn't just exporting at a high quality, max resolution in the correct ratio get you the best quality print from a printer's?

It is not a good idea to do tifs if you are sending to a lab - most require jegs.

I've done a load of tests and I found that quality 10 jpeg in Photoshop or 85% quality in Lightroom....

My own method is to make a set of "master" jpegs which are the camera resolution and full frame - and then "printing" jpegs with the appopriate crop/size...

Thanks for the replies. By the sounds of things I am not doing anything fundamentally wrong.

One thing I should have mentioned, Nigel, is that in all cases, when you resize an image either in dimensions or in resolution you must at least consider whether it should be re-sharpened again afterwards. It usually does. As the resolution goes down then so does the sharpening radius. I usually re-sharpen 72 dpi images at 0.2 px radius and 300 dpi images at either 0.3 or 0.4 px radius.

Last edited:
Back