Yes
Hi to one and all
i have taken a photo for a client and she loves the photo
but wants it 8x6 to fit her frame
when i sise it for printing in i photo it crops the picture
and takes the important elements out ie the hands
is there away of keeping all the photo and print it 8x6
Thankyou in advance

Probably not, most common camera formats are around the 9x6 ratio [3x2] or there abouts [whatever yours is, its obviously not 8x6 or 4x3], so to make it 8x6, you have to lose some of it. The only way would be to give it a border top and bottom to make it work, but that will possibly look a bit odd in the frame and the actual printed area would be only 8 x 5ish... Its always a good idea, if you know something might get printed, to allow yourself a little 'wiggle' room when framing in camera, allow a bit of space in case you need to crop it a little for a particular format.

Last edited:
The situ i was in called for a lot of movement
i would usually compensate with the wiggle room
but with this child it was grab, grab, grab.
i dont mind a border wants the full photo is there
how do i make a border
thanks for your reply..

is it possible to do in photoshop via making a canvas

Last edited:
No idea with iphoto, never used it. If you are ordering online, just upload it as it is, then when selecting the 'fit', make sure it has the border top and bottom, most online printers will allow you to do this. There may be a way to do it in iphoto, but would have to wait from someone else to advise on that I'm afraid :)

Go for a A4 print size perhaps? and then make your border 1" all around (or there abouts). then relatively your border is not proportional but looks good.
however, it's impossible to help without seeing the image. if you get an A4 print, you can always trim it down anyway

The situ i was in called for a lot of movement
i would usually compensate with the wiggle room
but with this child it was grab, grab, grab.
i dont mind a border wants the full photo is there
how do i make a border
thanks for your reply..

is it possible to do in photoshop via making a canvas

In Photoshop just select the Canvas Size option, then enter the dimensions to expand to & make sure the image is in the centre spot. That way it will add the extra bits top & bottom if you want to do it that way.

Why not suggest the client gets a new frame to suit the photo on the basis that she loves the photo and cropping it is a different photo which compromises the one she loves?

You can add a border to make it fit 8x6

I'm going to presume your client isn't going to be happy with a top and bottom border, because it'll look rap and if I was the client I wouldn't be happy.

So you have the following options:

Make a choice of 8x6 crops and see which one the client prefers

Offer a larger print 'upgrade' at no extra cost (will make her think she's got a bargain and sweeten the fact she needs a new frame)

If it's possible expand bg to the image to get the dimensions and keep all the detail. Without seeing the picture we can't tell for sure, but my guess is this has a studio bg so should be quite easy.

Last edited:
You don't say what sort of frame it is? Perhaps you could stick with your current crop and frame, and just source or cut a new mount that fits both print and frame?

Back