Cropping pictures

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Cropping in photoshop how do you keep film sizes when you crop. (If that makes sense)
or to put it another way
If I want the center out of a very large picture how can I keep it to printable print sizes (is that any better)
ie 6x4 5x7 10x8 what ever is next and so on etc etc :shrug:

pscrop.jpg

Hope it helps

Hope it helps

Sorry but that really made me laugh. Any more help would have to be going round to do yourself. :LOL:

Really good post tattoo.

Hi Tatoo, I only have one size in my drop down menu 5x4
I some times from a large landscape shot want to crop a smaller portrait so I want to retain photographic print sizes

In the width and height just add the size you want ie 8 in first box 10 in second box. Leave resolution empty.

Cropping in photoshop how do you keep film sizes when you crop. (If that makes sense)
or to put it another way
If I want the center out of a very large picture how can I keep it to printable print sizes (is that any better)
ie 6x4 5x7 10x8 what ever is next and so on etc etc :shrug:

Just click on front image which appears in top bar when you click on crop tool, it then crops to the same ratio as picture you have open.

sorry to you all Ive not explained my self correctly :thumbsdown:
Im quite sure there is a ratio for cropping to retain picture print sizes not necessarily 8x10 or 5X7 etc etc :shrug:

What size are you printing at??

Im quite sure there is a ratio for cropping to retain picture print sizes not necessarily 8x10 or 5X7 etc etc :shrug:

As I said its not the finished size Im bothered about, Im sure it is the ratio I require :| (Im sure it is)

I dont think there is a one size fits all.
8x10 print's for example ratio is 1.25 to 1 would be differant for a 5x7.

As I said its not the finished size Im bothered about, Im sure it is the ratio I require :| (Im sure it is)

Yes but Gibbo if you have got your photo open, then clip on crop tool, then select "from front image" and when you drag your crop tool, it will crop the centre piece you have selected to the exact same ratio as the original picture, for example if pic is 6ins x 4ins, (ratio 1.5:1) then your finished pic will be in same ratio, for example, picture size 4.5ins to 3ins. I think this is what you are trying to do anyway.

In the past I have used the rectangular selection tool and set the aspect ratio to be 5x7, 7x5, 8x10 etc and made my selection.

Copy selection
File, new (canvas size is same as copy)
then paste it in.

Obviously you lose any exif data but it allows you to select a "crop area" of whatever aspect ratio you're printing too.

Steve

Back