Cropping to an exact size - Photoshop CS3

Name
Spencer
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, so this may seem like a simple query, but I cannot find an answer to it...

If I have an image, say 3000x2000, and I want a crop of the image, say 2500x1500, if I use the crop tool, there does not seem to be a way of finding out what size I am cropping - I can crop the image but I don't know what the size is until after I have made the crop, and it may not be correct.

Once I have made the crop, I need to be able to "move" the crop around until it's where I want it on the original image, and then apply it.

I'm currently using the ruler display to get a rough idea, but it's not accurate enough to get me the exact size I'm looking for.

Is there a way to display the pixel by pixel size I'm cropping when using the crop tool?

Many thanks (y)

With the crop tool selected, in the top bar you can set crop dimensions, width and height by pixels, cm, in, etc as well as dpi, etc. Once you have dragged out the crop area on your image, you should be able to move it around if you click the mouse and hold it inside the crop area.

In the top bar, there should be a bar that says 'Width [text entry here]' and 'Height [text entry here]'. Enter the dimensions of the crop you want, drag the selection out, and hey presto, its instantly the correct size.

cropbar452.jpg

This only ensures it is in the correct ratio doesn't it, rather than applying a set crop frame of the required dimensions? :shrug:

This only ensures it is in the correct ratio doesn't it, rather than applying a set crop frame of the required dimensions? :shrug:

In my experience, it sets crop to the exact size of the entry.

Not if you are using the measurement as pixels, it crops to however many you stipulate either at the pictures default resolution [ppi, not dpi as I said earlier, apologies], or one of your choice.

Create a new canvas with your required measurements and drag and postion the image into it if you can't figure out the crop tool.

If you want to select the exact pixel size you use the Marquee Tool NOT the Crop tool.

If you use the crop tool it will create a crop of the dimensions given.
Example create a document of 200 pixels x 200 pixels and use the crop tool with 3000 px x 2000 px and you will get that size!

Use the Marquee set to fixed size and enter your dimensions.

Back