weekly Crotal Bell 52 for 2023 Wk 52 Favourite from 2023.

This one needs explaining.
There are two new flyovers across my local river and a new ring road behind it, well, I say new, been there a fair few years now but I'm 56 and remember many years before they destroyed the ambience of the Gt Ouse river around Kempston and Bromham. Along with the massive housing estates nearby, the whole rural area is suffocating under the unstoppable march of the population. The river is running under the left hand side of the bridge.
I still walk and fish here, but it's sad sometimes. To many the past is forgotten, not to me.

Forgotten.jpg

People rushing headlong to their deaths no longer have the time, nor the interest, to look at what is literally beneath their feet (tyres). This is a common scene across the country and indeed around the world and it is sad to see, but inevitable in the absence of care for the environment. At first glance, your photograph seems unremarkable as a subject but the back story brings it to life.

People rushing headlong to their deaths no longer have the time, nor the interest, to look at what is literally beneath their feet (tyres). This is a common scene across the country and indeed around the world and it is sad to see, but inevitable in the absence of care for the environment. At first glance, your photograph seems unremarkable as a subject but the back story brings it to life.
Thanks Martin

Yes, the back story makes the picture. Nowhere escapes the population living and travelling.

This is an African face carving (holiday souvenir) I tried several angles and lighting but like this one.
I like the way it looks, like a bad blurred photo taken in a panic, or a rush maybe, something you might see in a dodgy newspaper Ghost / Alien sighting story.
Nice to use the motion blur tech as well for the final shot before we move to the next one.

Spooky 02.jpg

Last edited:
The one that got away.
Nothing happening on the inside slack so I cast to the right of the far tree and let the bait run under. The tip dropped back then forward and struck. Defo a Chubb and a good lump too. Lots of reeds and rubbish to battle through before a good swirl near the surface and reached for the net.
Then at the last minute it plunged into the nearside reeds to the left in the picture, and the hooklength broke on something down there as I tried to get it back up.
So close !!

01 17 11 2023.jpg

Great story, water looks a bit muddy - had plenty of water there?
Yes indeed Keith, it's come down a fair bit, but still in flood and coloured up.

Was back today in the high wind, and lots of leaves and rubbish on the water, I must be a glutton for punishment.

Nice - weir did you take that? :p

• Haha
Reactions: nog
Nice - weir did you take that? :p
Water good question :p

Funny you should say that actually, it runs behind the cinema fast food and fitness centre complex near Bedford fire station, it's all buildings and car parks to the other side.
It is where the Bedford embankment runs away into a long straight stream that heads out of the town. The real river Great Ouse actually splits in the town and runs around the other side of Priory Marina and park and at some point a few miles up they join together again.

Snappers: The one the got away :D
Wall: there would appear to be more than one there so fits the bill and some!

A lovely bit of oak there :)

I had forgotten about this river sign, and there it was on todays cold walk. Just the job for this weeks theme.

003 02 12 23.jpg

Autumn. Superb colour. Nice shot.
Arrow: Hmm.. not the most informative of signs :)

I was torn which one to post so a few runners up here as well.

Week 50 Old.
Medieval Horse Harness Pendant. There are 2 pins behind the top T bar which would tack the pendant on the leather harness facing front between the eyes.
The rampant Lion inlay shows the rider was allegiant to the crown. Perhaps a royal serving knight rode across my metal detecting field ?

004 Harness Pendant.jpg

Silver Roman coin
Emperors head on the obverse - soldier on the reverse

003 Roman Obverse.jpg
002 Roman Reverse.jpg

Medieval Hammered Coin
The reverse didn't come out well so just the front on this one - Kings head on the obverse, I think this one is King John from around 1200 if I recall correctly.

001 Hamered Obverse.jpg

Happy with this one - theme running through the image in 3 places, obviously the letterbox is the main one and the background tree and poster complimenting.
003 23 12 23.jpg

Back