Crow dive-bombing on a river, for bread.

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Here are a few very fast shutter speed 'action' shots from the weekend.

I was busy throwing some bits of bread to a couple of crows on the opposite side of a small river bank, when I accidentally threw a piece short and it landed on the water. One of the crows looked at it for a second and then flew over it and scooped it out.

I was quite impressed by the agility of such a big bird and so I tempted it to repeat its performance a few times, by throwing in more bread :naughty:. The resultant pictures show not just the various wing and feather positions during flight, but also the true (blue) colour of those oily crow feathers.

Diving_Crow_06_1000-1.jpg

Diving_Crow_02_1000-1.jpg

Diving_Crow_05_1000-1.jpg

Diving_Crow_04_1000-1.jpg

Diving_Crow_07_1000-1.jpg

Diving_Crow_09_1000-1.jpg

C&C welcome :).

Great action shots.
Crows are bright birds.

Holy Cow !!

Really great set you have there.

Crows rock, a friend of mine had a 'tame' one it was like having a 5yr old in the house, full of mischief and as has been said already very bright !

Great action shots.
Crows are bright birds.

Yes, I'm slowly coming to the same conclusion (y). Just looking at the width of their skulls, makes me think that there's actually a decent size brain in there :naughty:.

Holy Cow !!

Really great set you have there.

Crows rock, a friend of mine had a 'tame' one it was like having a 5yr old in the house, full of mischief and as has been said already very bright !

Thanks Rob, I'm glad that you like them :).

A crow in the house!? - no thanks! :p Your friend either has a very big, or a very messy house, I suspect :D.

Great captures

Thank you Ken!

They are better quality than the other stuff I've posted here recently, as I didn't need to crop nearly as much off ;). I still wish that I had a longer lens though :crying:.

Good series of action shots, I really like the second and last ones in particular.

Linda

Thanks Rob, I'm glad that you like them :).

A crow in the house!? - no thanks! :p Your friend either has a very big, or a very messy house, I suspect :D.

Just messy. It knocked a hole in the living room wall (plaster board) and hoarded stuff in there, spoons, socks, anything really, most strange :wacky:

Just messy. It knocked a hole in the living room wall (plaster board) and hoarded stuff in there, spoons, socks, anything really, most strange :wacky:

Yeh, like Magpies generally anything shiny...odd about the sock though..:LOL:

Great shots. (y)

A good selection of images, you've captured the action well and also got good detail.

Fantastic.

You have to wait around long to get them?

5 and 6 are my favorites, great action.

Thanks, actually I didn't have to wait at all really. I was watching a buzzard up in a nearby tree, hoping that it would fly down a bit nearer to where I was and this pair of crows just started hanging around me (because they knew that I had some bread in my pocket). I would have just ignored them if it wasn't for the fact that one of them had a liking for water ;).

Great set :clap:
I have notice a lot more crows this year - locally and along the kent coast.
Apparently there are Ravens nesting in the white cliffs.
Has anyone else noticed an increase this year?

Great set :clap:
I have notice a lot more crows this year - locally and along the kent coast.
Apparently there are Ravens nesting in the white cliffs.
Has anyone else noticed an increase this year?

Thanks TSD ;)!

Are ravens much bigger than crows, I don't think I've ever seen one :thinking:?

Thanks TSD ;)!

Are ravens much bigger than crows, I don't think I've ever seen one :thinking:?

You'll certainly know if a Raven lands beside you ... Ravens are 25" (600mm) Rooks & Crows about 18" (450mm)

You'll certainly know if a Raven lands beside you ... Ravens are 25" (600mm) Rooks & Crows about 18" (450mm)

:naughty: Cool, I wouldn't need such a long lens to photograph a raven, then :D.

Shame that they don't nest around here (I live in a flat city, not a mountainous wilderness :|).

Back