Crucial MX500 2TB or Samsung 870 QVO 2 TB

Mr Bump

From under the bridge
Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I would like some more storage for my microserver, it will only be film and video files for plex generally as they are growing like caterpillars.
usually i like samsung but i can only really afford the QVO variant and people say it is less reliable long term?

Or my old fave Crucial ?

What are both warranty durations and time to failure figure or whatever they call. it these days

samsung has 3 year and crucail 5 year acual warranty more trying to guage is the lesser samsung as good or better than the crucial?

Definitely the MX500 as the QVO is inferior technology, more equivalent to the BX500.
Amazon's price on the MX500 is currently very good and I'm thinking of buying another one.

Definitely the MX500 as the QVO is inferior technology, more equivalent to the BX500.
Amazon's price on the MX500 is currently very good and I'm thinking of buying another one.
QVO is NOT inferior technology, it is in fact the latest generation of Samsung's SSDs.
It uses quad level cell technology to give 4 bits per cell as opposed to EVO which uses 3 bits per cell.
Because of this it is cheaper than the EVO models for the same capacity.
Its drawbacks are that it can be slower than EVOs and may not last as long if used intensively - hence the 3 year warranty.
I have a 1TB QVO and find it works very well, but I'm only using it in a caddy as a fast external drive but don't notice much difference in speed.
So if you're going to use it intensively I would probably avoid it but it is quite a bit cheaper for the capacity when compared with other SSDs.

I was just answering a similar question on another thread. Last May I bought a Western Digital Blue 500 Gb M.2 SSD. No complaints and the price was reasonable compared to the EVOs. 7800 reviews on Amazon. averaging 4.8 stars. 5 year warranty.

Would a mechanical HD not be better bet for long term storage over an SSD?
Well HDDs can also fail but of course they are much cheaper than SSDs so I don't look on SSDs as long term storage.
But everything can fail so for my data and photos I have at least 3 or 4 backups, using 1 or 2 FREE cloud services and HDDs.
Blu-Rays can also be used but NOT the cheap dye ones - the best are the ablative type where the laser actually removes a tiny bit of the recording medium.

Well HDDs can also fail but of course they are much cheaper than SSDs so I don't look on SSDs as long term storage.
But everything can fail so for my data and photos I have at least 3 or 4 backups, using 1 or 2 FREE cloud services and HDDs.
Blu-Rays can also be used but NOT the cheap dye ones - the best are the ablative type where the laser actually removes a tiny bit of the recording medium.

Best way IMHO. Use a mix of mediums for back up and store some off site or in cloud.

Back