Crumpler backpacks, anyone got one?

Raymond Lin

I am Groot
Name
Raymond
Edit My Images
No
http://crumpler.co.uk/?product=Full...ils&product_id=POB-004&view=1&size=&lsc=&lcc=

file1231247372.jpg

imagesmall1231247560.jpg

I am looking to get the above as I have out grown my Geekstar. Just wondering if people here tried any other ones that they like to recommend. I need to put in

5Dii + Grip
30D + Grip
24-7 L + hood
16-35L + Hood
580exii
550ex
50mm
85mm
10 CF cards

And may be a 135L in the future....

Had the Brian Hot Tub backpack for a while, 1st camera bag, it was good, but found the shape a bit limiting to get the larger lenses in (300mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 and definitely the 300mm f2.8 wouldn't fit and 2 camera bodies), so upgraded to the Lowpro Photo Trekker AWII which is a fantastic bag which I've used for last 2 years.

Only just recently sold the BHT on TP as it was surplus to requirements.

Looks nice. Wouldn't mind having it ;)
Looking into one of their messenger bags.

I bought a Brian's Hot Tub about 2 years ago, when it turned up I didn't quite realize the size (I’m a bit of a short arse and the bag is about half my size so it looks like I’m carrying someone on my back if I have it on) so its been in the wardrobe ever since, they are very well made though with lots of extra places for bits and bobs.

I'll take another photo of what I have managed to arrange this evening.
It is very difficult to judge what will fit. The flashes are small, but an awkward shape. I have mine at the bottom of the bag, with my 50mm/1.8, 18-55, and extender on top, without any padding, as these are relatively cheap lenses. My main problem is fitting the 100-400L in the bag in a way which makes good use of the space. My main wish is to get it through airport security in this way, then I will need to adjust each day dependant on which lenses I want. The bag is deep enough to take the flash standing upright, but then I find it difficult to have any thing else around this. With you having two flashes, this may not be a problem.
Currently I have
400d (no grip, no lens)
extender, 18-55, 50mm/1.8
580 EXII
Canon 10-22 (dia 77)
Canon 28-135 (dia 72)
Canon 100-400 (dia 77), out of case
Canon 70-300 IS (dia 58)

and the top flap is down, allowing me to use the top for books, and sweets, anything else I need on a plane.
For real use, I am going to have to move the camera, and make the top part camera/lens accessible, however, on those days, it will be a choice as to whether the 100-400 comes, or something else

I know that Jacobs near me stock them at good prices... so I would take all your stuff to the nearest the shop and see if it fits :)

From my experience they are big bags on the outside but the actual camera storage space is less than you would expect. The bags get shallower towards the top and thus limits what you can store in them.

I'll take another photo of what I have managed to arrange this evening.
It is very difficult to judge what will fit. The flashes are small, but an awkward shape. I have mine at the bottom of the bag, with my 50mm/1.8, 18-55, and extender on top, without any padding, as these are relatively cheap lenses. My main problem is fitting the 100-400L in the bag in a way which makes good use of the space. My main wish is to get it through airport security in this way, then I will need to adjust each day dependant on which lenses I want. The bag is deep enough to take the flash standing upright, but then I find it difficult to have any thing else around this. With you having two flashes, this may not be a problem.
Currently I have
400d (no grip, no lens)
extender, 18-55, 50mm/1.8
580 EXII
Canon 10-22 (dia 77)
Canon 28-135 (dia 72)
Canon 100-400 (dia 77), out of case
Canon 70-300 IS (dia 58)

and the top flap is down, allowing me to use the top for books, and sweets, anything else I need on a plane.
For real use, I am going to have to move the camera, and make the top part camera/lens accessible, however, on those days, it will be a choice as to whether the 100-400 comes, or something else

I do like to store the camera with 1 lens on, probably the 24-70L. so I will most likely to arrange it like the above photo.

I am aware of Crumpler's "look bigger than it is on the outside" thing, i have a geekstar. It's due to their padding, which is very generous.

Also, I have a small concern about the Pony Box/Big cheese, that is the top flap, where you can get access to the camera so easily. Can the zip be up done that easily and is it visible? I hate to see someone open my bag and grab my camera out while i stopped on a traffic crossing !

Here is mine, with the kit mentioned above, apart from the 400d and 50mm.
The DVD is for scale purposes. The top part (where the DVD is) is larger than it looks, just the funny angle I think.

This is how I intend to go through airports. For days out, I intend on having the padding as per the picture (or some other fast access). The problem I have is the 100-400 lens, is large, the distance between those two dividers in the middle is 9 inches. When I am taking that out, I am unlikely to need the flashlight, or the more portrait style lenses, which will give me more flexibility on where to put the padding. Without that lens, there is much more room for manouvre, and I could easily have the camera padding for a lens there.
The zip for the top pouch is always visible, and moves relatively freely.
However, the top pouch itself holds shut quite well, I think that should someone try to get in there (as it is going to be on your back anyway, they will need to be quite tall to see), then as they pull it open you would feel it.

Edit: What you could do if you are worried, there is a small loop inside of the pouch, you could get something to attach this to the strap of the camera, that is long enough to reach to your neck. It wouldn't be visible unless someone were to open the bag (or you had the camera out). Ok, so someone could cut the strap or the band attaching it to the bag, but if they have an implement for doing that, you don't want to argue with them anyway.

Jacobs are great! Went today to try to buy one but sadly I couldn't fit everything I needed into it, but the sales guy was incredibly helpful and got out all the lenses / kit I needed to put in the bag and tried out various combinations. The one near me (Chelsea branch) had the messenger boy full bags in stock at £54.99 which seems like a great price, they had the over the shoulder type too (in brown or green) for less.

Thank Coldpenguine, it looks like the bag to have, now i am unsure of the colour....its either black or the greyish colour one...If only there are pics of the colour inside !

Now, if yours is the Big cheese, i don't think i will need that much room, I am thinking the Italian Connection or may be i can get away with the pony Box even? I do not plan to get a 100-400...i never shoot that far, the only lens that i might get is a 70-200.

Looks like i'll most likely getting the Italian connection, and polochick, unfortunately i don't have a Jacob near me, plus online prices are about £50 cheaper than that on the Crumpler site as well.

http://www.worldofbags.co.uk/Bag.asp?Name=Crumpler-Muffin-Top-5500&BagID=1174

I have this bag. It BARELY holds my SLR (40d with grip) with the 24-60 attached, and the 10-20. I wouldn't be able to fit my 55-250 in there unless it was attached to the camera, and then I'm sceptical as to whether the bag would close. I've got spare batteries and my memory card holder in between the SLR and my 10-20. I have a remote release in the front pocket. There is no way you could get a 5D with a grip in there unless the lens was removed and the SLR planted sideways. You'd also never get a decent telephoto lens in there.

It's fantastic though, I love it. I never need to take out more than my 40d, my 10-20 and my 24-60. If I take the 55-250 out its usually just the camera. If I want to take more kit out, I have a Centon BP500 rucksack perfect for that.

sorry I didn't make myself clear. I don't have the bag in the OP, but I have the bag a linked to, emphasising my point: If the bag's specs say that it holds 2 slrs and 5 lenses, it's more likely it holds 1 gripped, 2 non gripped slrs, 4 small lenses, 3 medium lenses and 2 large lenses.

sorry I didn't make myself clear. I don't have the bag in the OP, but I have the bag a linked to, emphasising my point: If the bag's specs say that it holds 2 slrs and 5 lenses, it's more likely it holds 1 gripped, 2 non gripped slrs, 4 small lenses, 3 medium lenses and 2 large lenses.

oh yeah, i totally realise that, having the Geekstar myself. But with a bit of clever positioning i managed to get all my current kit in so far.

That's 2 gripped body, 3 lenses and 2 flashes + 2 stofen diffuser and all my CF cards. But i like room to expand for 2 more lenses, hence the search and I don't think i messenger bag is big enough or suitable since it has gotten quite heavy on 1 shoulder already.

jacobs are still doing a special offer on the crumpler messenger boy full photo (which I bought).

http://www.jacobsdigital.co.uk/index.php?target=products&product_id=70354

In that I get my:

D90 body with tamron 17-50 lens attached
50mm prime
105mm macro prime
55-200 tamron telephoto
sb600 speedlight
lens pen, cloths, minipod, spare batteries, filters, memory cards
15" laptop
plus some more spare pockets for small things.

I have the same bag.
I love the bag but I have a gripped 450D, 50mm Prime, Tokina 11-16, a 55-250, a couple of filters, spare battery cage for the grip, an R-Strap and rocket blower in the main compartment and I will struggle to get another small lens in let alone another gripped body. I am going to have to sell mine soon as it wont take whatever long prime/zoom I go for :(
I don't think it will be big enough for the OP's needs.

I have the same bag.
I love the bag but I have a gripped 450D, 50mm Prime, Tokina 11-16, a 55-250, a couple of filters, spare battery cage for the grip, an R-Strap and rocket blower in the main compartment and I will struggle to get another small lens in let alone another gripped body. I am going to have to sell mine soon as it wont take whatever long prime/zoom I go for :(
I don't think it will be big enough for the OP's needs.

That bag looks smaller though....

That bag looks smaller though....

I'm not saying otherwise ;)
I was merely replying to kmans suggestion that a Messenger Boy Photo Full would be an alternative.

It's not actually that much smaller than the one you're looking at though.

I got mine yesterday, managed to get my gear in, even with the 5D + grip + 24-70 with hood attached (reversed). It wasn't easy I tell ya, not with the easy access, and I think i will struggle to add another lens into it, anything bigger than a 135L will not fit, no way i could fit a 70-200 :(

That said, i didn't know it had room for a laptop.....which is a bonus.

Hi,
Any of you know whether the Italian Connection or Big Cheese have some sort of tripod attachment straps ??

Crumpler.eu doesn't describe anything like it. Although when I wrote to crumpler, I got a reply saying that that is the "loops for accessory attachment" that is supposed to be a tripod attachment device.

I'm very skeptical about that though. Can anyone clarify for me ?
Greatly appreciated!

Back