TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Crumpler Daily 600 XL Review

Review Submitted by Forum Member SteveJB

Hey All,

I've spent a whole load of time trying to decide on a suitable bag that would cover a range of uses and not just a camera bag; It needs to carry my camera and accessories, and also needs to be used for carrying a bit of shopping whilst travelling to /from work, also needs have room for a laptop, and last of all it needs to not look like a camera bag at all.

'Why is all this important?' you might ask, well, I gave up my car a couple of years ago so I walk to/from work, use public transport to go to/from town, and on my way home from work I pop into the supermarket to do my small bits of shopping. In addition to this, dependent upon where I'm going, both my laptop and camera could be coming with me and this could all be at night. As I said previously, I don't have a car, so all of this has to be carried by me, without drawing too much attention.

So, after a searching around t'internet, I came across the Crumpler range of bags, in particular the Crumpler Daily range and in even more particularly, the Daily 600 XL. There are not many useful reviews around for this bag so thought I'd do a quick review for the forum.

Well first impressions are that the build quality of this bag is immense it has very strong outer nylon, masses of padding, ripstop waterproof lining and webbing straps that feel stronger that the seatbelts in your car.

Image 1 shows the bag as it comes, the front flap is held down with hefty (and noisy) Velcro, and also two expanding straps. The silvery strip along the lower edge of the bag is reflective.

crumpler_daily_600xl_01.jpg

One of the issues I have with the few reviews I could find, was that I couldn't get much of an idea of the size of the bag, so, I've put my 17"HP laptop next to it for comparison in image 2.

crumpler_daily_600xl_02.jpg

Image 3 (taken with a p&s), shows the size of the (removable!) internal camera compartment. That's my 350D, with battery grip fitted (also tripod plate) and hand strap. My Sigma 55-200mm is fitted to the camera, and the canon 18-55mm kit lens is also neatly within that square area beside the siggy lens (separated by a considerable piece of felt covered packing). The black mesh on the right hand side is actually a small removable accessory bag, you can just see it's slightly darker orange handle. As you can see, there's still loads of room for more kit in the bag

crumpler_daily_600xl_03.jpg

Images 4 and 5 shows the camera compartment lid, front pocket slightly open, and camera compartment removed. This leaves a cavernous messenger style bag remaining

crumpler_daily_600xl_04.jpg

crumpler_daily_600xl_05.jpg

Image 6 shows again the 17" laptop for comparison and the laptop pouch open along the inside back of the bag. You can also just see further storage pouches around the side and front of the inside area

crumpler_daily_600xl_06.jpg

All in all this bag is extremely well made, strong, incredibly versatile, comfortable to carry (it has a 'third leg' which in effect is second strap that you put over your other arm for further stability), and a damn good buy

Thanks for sticking with it and reading this review. I hope this helps anyone who's looking into a bag of this type.

Just bought this bag based on this review and it comfortably holds my Nikon D200 with MB-D200 but no lens, Nikon 18-70, Nikon 70-300 VR, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90, Nikon SB800......and there is spare room for a couple more lenses.

Matty's review is spot on.

I bought mine from Morris photo for £79.95 inclusive of P&P
Ordered Sunday evening delivered Tuesday.

One thing I would say after 2 weeks of ownership is that it is a large bag and maybe the Crumpler 490 L may have be better for me.

I've always felt bags are better viewed in the flesh.

I have this too, and find it too large to be practical. In fact, I use it more for just keeping everything together in the car or house. I wish now that I'd got a backpack instead. I also find the front pocket a pain in the rrrr's. I really want to use it for filters (large 100mm square ones), but it doesnt seem to open flat at all, rather it either opens a smidge, or you have to fold it back and it sort of goes under the main body of the bag. Not sure if that makes sense, but it bugs me anyways.

Question. How would you / and could you carry a tripod with this bag? Is it possible?

I carry my tripod in my hand with this over my head and shoulder. Another reason to wish i'd got a backpack now.

I carry my tripod in my hand with this over my head and shoulder. Another reason to wish i'd got a backpack now.

I have a MAHOOSIVE backpack (Lowepro CompuTrekker Plus AW All Weather), and the biggest tripod I could find. Let me tell you, OUCH. Not good for long walks. Its all a bit of a pain, the tripod I have does not attach with any real stability. And if I want to get INTO the back, the tripod needs to be removed first.

The plus side, I can fit 3 bodies, all with lenses, and an additional lens per body. A 19" laptop too, and plenty of room left for timers, filters, and other smaller bits of kit.

Its overkill for the walk to work though, as is my Tripod.

hmmm - think this would be too big for me - I just want room for a 5dMKII, an extra lens or two, & then my day-to-day non-togging stuff, e.g. a weekend bag. The search goes on....

Back