Crumpler Pretty Boy XL Question

Edit My Images
Yes
Bit specific this but would a Crumpler Pretty Boy XL hold the following?

Canon EOS 40D with attached 50mm f1.4 and lens hood.

Sigma 10-20mm lens

Canon Speedlite 430 EX II

Off-camera cord for flash

Small diffuser

Spare battery.

Extra memory cards.

Cheers.

i've been looking at these, XL seems a tad too small, and from the review the XXXL seems about right i guess

I still use my XL all the time btw, but just use it to keep lenses in now, camera just hangs over my shoulder.

Thanks for the link to your review Jimmy. I checked out the images and reckon I could fit what I want in there. I just need it for holiday, I already have a Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW but don't something as big (and tbh uncomfortable) hanging off my shoulder when I am in Florida. This is what I am looking for, high quality but doesn't stand out as a camera bag. They are only £20 of ebay as well. The bag is on its way. Cheers guys.

Here is tightly packed XXL, might give you an idea of what they actually hold compared to what they say they hold...

443783041_T6crV-L.jpg

Judging by what you say you want to put in it, I think the XXL would be perfect, the XL is pretty small.

ukaskew, do you have a picture of the above half packed and packed?

Cheers Ukaskew. I think the XL will just do it and no more. I am a sad boy, I put the kit I need to fit into it into a small bundle on the floor and measured it. It should (fingers crossed) be okay. I will do a couple of pics of it when it arrives.

Cheers.

ukaskew, do you have a picture of the above half packed and packed?

Here goes, used the 50mm to take the pics, but you can clearly see the space it would occupy when attached to the body...

Sigma 50-150 2.8 on the left (slightly longer than a 70-300 telephoto), body in the middle sans 50mm, and a Sigma 20mm 1.8 on the right (slightly bigger than a Sigma 10-20)
448450115_8eRyW-L.jpg

Same as above, but Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye (approx 50mm 1.8 size) sat on top of the Sigma 20mm 1.8 on the right, it still doesn't breach the natural closing height with those two stacked so it closes fully with velcro and clip
448450453_oDKTQ-L.jpg

Head on view with all the above + a Gorillapod SLR Zoom (the big one) resting on top, bag doesn't quite close with the velcro but still fully secured by the clip quite easily.
448449816_K5cwW-L.jpg

The entire inside will stick to the dividers, so you can pretty much arrange things however you like, yesterday I had a few things stacked vertically as I wanted to take the D90 with Battery Grip and the 50-150 2.8 attached out with me.

thanks, think it will have to be XXXL as i have grip and flash and hopefully collect a coupe of lenses in the future and then leave enough room for personal stuff

If it helps-----------My XXXL takes the following-40D gripped + 18-50mm f/2.8 with reversed hood,Sigma 10-20,Sigma 50-150,2xTC,430EX Speedlite + bits and filters etc.Its a squeeze--but is now my most used bag.
Pete.

Well, it arrived today which is pretty impressive considering I am way up in Shetland. Only ordered it Saturday from ebay.

The bag is of a really high quality, the stitching seems flawless throughout and the materials are really good too. The padding is pretty inflexible which may change over time but I am really delighted with the build. Compared to my Lowepro Slinghsot which had some faulty stitching this is a dream.

On to the most important bit, how much kit I can fit in. As I said when I began this thread, I wanted to carry a (non-gripped) EOS 40D with an attached Canon 50mm f1.4 and attached lens hood, a Sigma 10-20mm lens, Canon Speedlite 430 EXII, spare batteries, memory cards, lens cloth, radio triggers, off-camera cord and flash diffuser.

I am taking the above kit on holiday and as I have to drag along two kids and my wife I want to travel light.

Here is a pic of the bag closed. I went for the black/orange as I want to keep the camera adverts to a minimum.

3176825466_13a8dff223.jpg

Here is the bag with all of the kit bar the camera. The XL differs from the bigger bags in the range in that it only has one divider. The Speedlite is to the left in is pouch, FM triggers lying on the bottom of the bag and the Sigma 10-20mm is to the right held in by the divider.

3176825488_76c33e4c38.jpg

Here is the 40D in place. It took some thought to get it all in, the grip of the 40D kind of hooks onto the divider and is just above the 10-20mm. The attached 50mm lens is above the FM triggers lying below. I had to jiggle the Speedlite as well as the pouch is not a straightforward shape.

3176825476_7bca2a9d22.jpg

Finally, the bellows pouch on the front. This photo probably doesn't do it justice as it is roomier than it appears here. It runs to the bottom of the bag and has plenty room for spare batteries, memory cards and a lens cloth. There is room in there as well for a small notepad/pen and a mobile phone.

3176825500_d7c7367609.jpg

Overall I am delighted with this bag. I assume it has been discontinued as it no longer appears on the Crumpler site so I would suggest picking one up if you are looking cloesly at them. I believe the bigger sizes are getting quite hard to find.

Cheers.

cool, nice write up.
on holiday, and no longer lenses? i guess you find 50mm fine and then crop?

but the XL will be too small for me.

I'm interested in getting something like this for when i only want to travel with one lens attached to the camera but it would need to take the D200 with 70-300VR.

My local Jessops have very limited choice with bags or i'd try something locally!

Can you measure the inside for me? £20 from ebay is a bargain!

Cheers

i have a Pretty Boy XL and use it for a light weight setup using primes, i can fit a D700 and strap with 85mm f1.4 (with hood on) 50mm f1.4 and 35mm f2, with strap above them plus the front pouch for stuff.

It makes a nice small unit and when i intend to do some street (eventually) i think this would be a good choice, not bad quality for a £20 bag!

it would need to take the D200 with 70-300VR.

i can get a d700 with the 24-70mm lens on as long as i put it in sideways, iirc that's roughly the same size as a 70-300mm but you wouldn't get anything else in there

just checked 70-300mm 143mm / 24-70mm 133mm, so i reckon np

Digital SLR User have a subscription offer at the mo, £35 with a "free" Pretty Boy XL (actually £5 for the bag as subscription is £30 for the mag alone).

Hey, on Amazon the internal dimensions are given as

Internal 23x17x12cm

That does sound about right.

Pretty Boy is harder to get because Crumpler have phased it out, "Muffin Top" is now the replacement, the sizings are similar but the naming convention has changed, now 3000, 5500, 7500 etc.

Excellent, thanks for the details on sizes.

I have been considering subscribing to DSLR User as it seems like a good mag so i might go for that option...

Well I decided to get one of these off ebay on friday for £20, it arrived at work today.

On inspection I was worried it wouldn't be big enough for my D200 with 70-300VR attached but upon getting home and trying it I can report it does fit - just!

I can even get another lens in at the same time so I'm very happy, it will be perfect for a days light travel.

I may even suggest one to my brother who is considering a D60 kit!

i fancy the xxxl, as either fill the bag with camera gear or have space for personal stuff like ipod etc.

I have an XL and you'll get a camera body plus (reasonable) lens attached plus maybe one or two additional lenses depending on size. But no more in the main bag area.

You'll get a spare battery plus some memory cards in the front pocket but that's about it.

I find it ok for going our and about with the minimum of gear of if I'm flying somewhere and need my rucsac to carry a laptop, but that's yer lot.

It's not a cavernous bag by any means.

Thanks for the reply. I have been using mine for about a week now and have been very pleased with the quality and comfort of this bag. There is something very liberting about travelling light and not carrying a Jessops store slung over one shoulder.

I got a XL at the weekend as the wife said i looked a t*t going out up town with my tamrac pro 8. All i needed if for is a cano 450D, canon 28-135 and the nifty. I would say that it does feel better made than the tamrac.

I'm not sure what bag you would need with a lens like that but i'm sure some one will:thinking:

Well I'm just starting out, but I would be aiming to get a second lends shortly, either a 75-300 or maybe a beercan,

Shoudn't be a problem, my XL will fit my D200 with 50mm or 18-50mm atached and one other lens beside it (Including my 70-300).

Depends if you want any more expansion capability.....

Shoudn't be a problem, my XL will fit my D200 with 50mm or 18-50mm atached and one other lens beside it (Including my 70-300).

Depends if you want any more expansion capability.....

I think I would probably be alright with the XL, I would maybe go for the one bigger just incase although as of right now beyond maybe a couple of lenses, memory cards and cleaning kit I can't see myself having many other accessories, although I'm sure I will once I get into it!

I was looking at the XL (4000) as I have a A200 with 18-250 on and will also be taking my GorillaPod SLR Zoom with Manfrotto 484RC2 ballhead.

Any ideas if these will fit?

A200 with 18-250 - 14cm W x 12cm H x 17cm D
Gorillapod Curled Up - 12cm W x 15cm H x 14cm D

Thx!

Back