Crumpler Pretty Boy XXXL - It's Teeny Tiny!

Name
Nicola
Edit My Images
Yes
Well my new bag arived today a Pretty Boy XXXL. I was going to get the XL or XXL but was recommended to go for the XXXL as they come up small. I wasn't expecting a Huge bag but this is Teeny :shake:

It certainly cannot hold the 2 bodys and 6 lenses specified! I am quite disappointed.

On another note it does hold the equipment I have which is a body and 2 lenses and there is probably room for another 2 lenses at a push, so it will do me just fine and I suppose at least it's not too huge to carry around which is a plus. I think I am just being grumpy today.

I received my book 'Understanding Exposure' which looks really good so going to run a bath and relax with that in a min.

I have been interested in these crumpler bags actually. The daily looks like a good idea, but they are damned expensive. I tend to carry books around with me each day and would be carrying a camera too most days, so seemed ideal...but not sure really of the quality. I used to have the box like over the shoulder bags and I loathe those.

OOh trust me they are strange, we bought off ebay a crumpler farmers or summat and it's bigger than me! i need a smaller one it's HUGE!!!

That is the one thing that put me off the Crumpler range. The style and build quality seems very good but what they think you can fit in it isn't just over optimistic, it's just a plain lie.

I looked at pictures of these and when it said 5 lenses etc.. there is no way you could fit what they claim in there!

That is the one thing that put me off the Crumpler range. The style and build quality seems very good but what they think you can fit in it isn't just over optimistic, it's just a plain lie.

Yeah, I am with you on that one! god knows what bodies and lenses they use to come up with these ideas. Nifty Fifties maybe?

I think the XXXL is supposed to be bigger than the daily? (could be wrong) It is very small and I doubt you would get very many books in there let alone with a camera. A4 sized certainly won't fit without getting the corners bent as an example sizewise. The bag from the outside looks small and the inside is even worse what with the padding. I was hoping to get my kit and about 2 books in there but I think with my camera and lens attached and 2nd lens I will not get any books in there.

I do like it though, it does what I want it too and does fit all my kit. Just that anyone buying one really needs to know they are not as big as they look online. When the package came I thought it was bent in half but it wasn't.

Give me a few mins and I will take a snap next to another object for comparison.

Eh, going to be a trip to the local camera stores I think on Wednesday to see what will and will not do what I want it to.
I sometimes wonder if it is better to get a decent quality, non camera rucksack or somesuch and modify it yourself. Much cheaper than paying premium for specifically marketed camera bags.

I just got my Pretty Boy too, and am very dissapointed with it.

The picture makes it look like you could get a fair bit in it:

[URL="http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/images/products/extra/PBBP%20Olive%20Open%20280.jpg"
]Pretty Boy[/URL]

But there is no way I can get all that in. with my 24-70mm it has to go long ways.. and then just the speedlite fits next to it on its side.. then there is a tiny bit of room at the end to put my 50mm..

Also the top part is just an open bag, no netting or pockets inside to put stuff so when trying to get something you have to go rummaging around :(

I wanted it because it had nice styling and doesnt look like a camera bag.

However it is very very comfy to carry around.

Yes I choose it because it didn't look like a camera bag. However if I ever need to upgrade I will go for size and fit over style now I think.
Just uploading and resizing some pics of it next to a DVD to show scale.

Ok here are the pics (excuse quality I was on my knees and wobbly)
Remember this is the XXXL so god knows how small the others are.

This is the front with DVD to the side:

pics043.jpg

DVD at the front:

pics045.jpg

Sideways shot with DVD to show depth:

pics044.jpg

And the inside of the bag (Nikon D40X with a 18-55mm attached and a 55-2oo mm to the left and 3 filters to the right) for some reason it looks like there is more space then there actually is in the photo. There is a pocket at the front but if the bag is full i doubt you would be able to use it.

pics046.jpg

I am tempted to sell it.. but think i may save up and get one of these.. as i really like the design and the modular addons you can do to it.. plus the water holder is an added bonus for when walking around for long times:

http://www.m-rock.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=64966

I do prefer the ones where the camera just lays in like that as opposed to this one where you have to poke the lens down and rest the camera on top. I think once I need to upgrade I will go for something like that.

It does depend on what you want to use it for though. I have a Pretty Boy XL and it is just the right size for me. It holds my 70-200, 10-20 & Nifty Fifty. I then carry the Camera over my sholder with 17-40 attached (or whichever lens as it will hold any combo of three). I was dissapointed with its size, but then I got it for free with a magazine subscription so I thought I would try and see how it went and I am very happy with it now.

Wow, that is tiny. Handy if you just want to go out with body and one lens but I'd be a bit peeved if I thought it could fit this:

Pretty Boy XXXL
Fits 2 SLRs with 5 lenses and accessories

From their own website.

What it seems to imply is the body without the lens attached, but im not in the habbit of wanting to swap lens when I am out and about, especially in a crowded place.

Ill stick it out for a while, and keep it for the times when I just want to carry the body and lens and nothing more + accessories.

It does have excellent build quality.

As I say it will do what I want it to do.
But if anyone buys one thinking it will fit 2 bodys and 5 lenses they will be very very peeved. I would say 1 body with lens attached and 4 small lenses or possibly 3 larger lenses both at a push but no way would you get 2 bodys and 5 lenses.

Take with my rubbish phone..

bag1.jpg

Doesnt show the top pocket.... but thats got my 18-55mm in a softbag along with the lens hood for my nifty fifty and 24-70.. 3 lens filters, remote switch, rocket blower, grey card.

I manage to get all my gear in mine now...

Nikon d80 + grip
70-200 f/2.8 w/ hood
24-70 f/2.8 w/ hood
10-20 f/4-f/5.6 w/ hood
50mm f/1.8 w/ hood
SB600 flashgun
and then all the accessories in the front pocket.

Photo-0021.jpg

Photo-0022.jpg

Seems to be a common problem with Crumpler, the bags can look good but the company's naming style really makes them sound larger than they are. That said, their site does give dimensions for all their bags, for example Pretty Boy XXXL Internal: 30,0 x 18,0 x 14,0 cm. Just by using a ruler you can see that that is small.

Yep yep, I have a PrettyBoy XXL - according to their website you can fit 2 bodies, 4 lenses and accessories.

In mine I can fit:

40D + Grip.
70-200 f/2.8 L
17-40 f/4 L
430ex
A few extras like memory cards, bussiness cards & a battery or two.

And they only just about fit, it's a bit of a squash to get all my kit in. I can't actually secure it with the velcro properly.

They really do advertise the bags badly, there's no way you could get 2 bodies and 4 lenses in an XXL. Unless they were all nifty fifties...but who has 4 of them?

That being said, the bags are very good quality. Good strong material, and keeps water out with no problem whatosever. Also they don't get dirty easily (I have the white & orange version), I used to take mine to nightclubs 5 times a week and it's still perfectly clean.

Well my new bag arived today a Pretty Boy XXXL.

It certainly cannot hold the 2 bodys and 6 lenses specified! I am quite disappointed.

On another note it does hold the equipment I have which is a body and 2 lenses and there is probably room for another 2 lenses at a push, so it will do me just fine and I suppose at least it's not too huge to carry around which is a plus. I think I am just being grumpy today.

Exactly why i suggested the XXXL based on your requirements and current kit ;)

Crumplers claims are based on the lenses and bodies being separate, with the bodies lying back down on top of the lenses - it is plausible to fit what they say, but you'd have to carry some pretty small lenses, and not a lot else :bang:

I have the pretty boy Medium and Large bags and they are fine for a body and lens but you couldn't fit a body and two lenses.

They are great though when you want to travel light :)

i nearly get one of these but went down the LowPro rought instead, went to a shop in chester and had a good 30 mins poking round all there bags to see what i could get in.

They are smaller than thought.

i was going to order an XXl blind, without looking at the size, but the day i was about to order one, my dad wanted a UV filter for his videocamera. Went to calumet in liverpool, and then to jacobs on bold street in liverpool, and checked the bags out, only to find how small the XXXL was, still big enough for my needs though.

This is how mine looks like with the gear in.

inside is:

400d with 24mm f2.8 attached
50mm
70-200L with hood reversed
18-55 kit lens
filters in the front pocket, and giottos rocket blower, and USB cable in the gaps. Still space to squeeze another lens in i think.

DSC00562.jpg

DSC00563.jpg

I have a daily XL (I think) and think it's the mutts nuts. Quite simply I pitched up in the shop and asked them to get the kit I wan't to carry and tried the bags until I got the right size. Mind you I don't carry a load of stuff, 400D, 100-300mm (with hood), 18-55mm and 50mm prime + a few bits n pieces. The reason I like it is its tough, your not gonna slash either the strap or through the body, protects my kit from knocks and doesn't scream EXPENSIVE CAMERA KIT HERE when wandering around downtown nairobi or equivalent, I find getting the bag a bit dusty/dirty without the kit in!! helps here.

I like the Crumpler bags construction and also find that it is easier on my back compared to carrying a similar sized Billingham. I believe that my bag is a Daily 290. However, I strongly agree about the sizing. Mine just fits my 40D with 2 lenses and flash and not much else of significance - I really would have liked one that could also hold a few more bits and pieces and also some other non-tog items. I also like the fact that crumpler tog bags do not look like tog bags whereas my Billingham one definitely does.

Have a look at the F-Stop range (www.fstopgear.com), they are aimed at the adventure sports photography market, but they are good camera bags in their own right.

I've got the Bard, which is one of their smaller bags, yesterday I had Eos 5/50mm in the right section with the divider out ( the sections are like -> I-I I-I ) then 20D/17-40mm in the bigger section in the middle and flash and 75-300mm in the left hand sections. After all that is in there is still space for a laptop and all the other bits and pieces that seem to find there way into camera bags.

I'm going to be writing a review of it for another site, so I will post it up on here too, but want to use it a bit more first...

The thing with Crumpler bag is that there is about 2 inches of padding on all sides and the inner padding is not exactly thin so it all adds up, what you get is a bag that looks a lot bigger on the outside than actual space inside.

Back