CS5: Problem running actions from batch processes

Edit My Images
No
I am trying to process hundreds of photos in CS5. I have written an action to do all of the work necessary on a single image. Part of the task is to select an area so I need to pause the action to allow me to manually select the necessary areas. I can do this with the Insert Stop function fine. I have to turn off "allow continue", so that the action stops and I can dismiss the "stop" dialugue box. Only when the dialogue box is closed can I then use the magic wand to select the additional area. Then I click the action to start running again from where it left off.

This is all fine until I try and run this action on a number of files via the automate-batch command. As soon as the action hits the stop command and I close the stop command dialogue box, the batch process jumps in and says there has been a stop, do I want to continue batch processing or not, if I answer yes it continues straight away not letting me select the magic wand to do the manual selection I need.

I have been searching for a solution but can't find one - really frustrating! I really want to pause the action in a way that I can use the magic wand and not break the batch process. Can anyone help please?

Isn't a problem when setting up your batch process,?

There are a couple of check boxes on the batch process dialogue screen to suppress 'open' commands etc when running your batch, you made need to have a play around with these settings.

Isn't a problem when setting up your batch process,?

There are a couple of check boxes on the batch process dialogue screen to suppress 'open' commands etc when running your batch, you made need to have a play around with these settings.

I have checked out all of these options and none are relevant, the problem is the "stop" command does completely stop the batch process. I think Paul's comment about needing an overall scripting solution is probably correct.

I have now written the set of scripts, please see "Manual Batch" at the above site.
Hope they are of use to you.

I like the add texture script Paul, very nice mate thanks for sharing.

Hi Paul

Sorry I realise I didn't provide any feedback on this. Thanks very much for the scripts, they were good. The main issue I found was that the action I was running stopped at the stop command, I did my manual processing but the action then wouldn't complete fromwhere it had stopped. I could move on to batch process the next photo Ok but again i would miss the part of the action after the stop command. I could work around this by switching from button mode back to normal mode and manually select the last part of the action to run, then switching back to button mode and moving on to the next photo with your script, but this was a bit laborious. I don't know if you have any ideas on this?

The easy way is to split the action into two actions.
The first action can then be run on open, you can then do your manual alterations then click on next (having selected the second action to be run on close).
This way you don't have to go out of button mode.
Hope this helps.

Back