CS6 Logo edit help

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
388849_452177048158892_851642786_n.png

Hi all how can i take the square background off my logo, so i just have a circle?

i used the logo as a template i found but i want to change it.

also i am still learning cs6 so need step by step please

Open in Photoshop
make new layer( Ctrl+J)
get the quick selection tool and select the outside,it will select from the edge of the square to the edge of the circle(dont get too close to the edge of the circle)
Then select >inverse and refine edge ( on the top tool bar)
When you are happy with the edge selection.copy and paste to a new file with a transparent background.
If you want to be really clever you could make a one click brush with it http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=434225.
If you turn on image editing I can post it.
BTW I have used CS5

Cheers

whats image editing? and how do i turn it on? cant seem to get a good selection on the logo

Sorry my fault I missed you already had it turned on!
This is my take without the square

p1139639936-5.jpg

It does take a bit of practice to get a good selection,I just hold down the left mouse button start with the cursor in the top left and draw slowly around the edge of the square trying to keep as far from the edge of the circle as possible.
You can move the selection in and out with the + and - tools ( top left of the toolbar) and then get it even better with refine edge

If you don't save it as a PNG file it will still have a white square around it.

.gif also supports transparent background & smaller sized so should be better for using on a web page but not always better quality as the others

Easier way than using the selection tool...assuming the logo is square which I think it is, View > new guide > 50% horizontal then again for vertical. This will make 2 guides which cross in the centre. Then select the shape tool from toolbar (right side, think its 2 from bottom from memory). If it's not the circle by default click and hold to see it. Place cursor in centre over where the 2 guides meet, hold alt and shift and drag until the circle fits yours. Window > paths...in this box at the bottom theres a circle made of dotted line so to say. Click this and the path will become your selection. Press M on keyboard, right click and select inverse, then delete the selection.

Now that I write it, it looks very long winded but it takes less than 30 seconds and is more accurate and easy than trying to draw a circular marquee.

*edit* oh wait the other method was quick selection tool...well mine would give you a much neater edge than that

Last edited:
ok thanks guys.

(HTID) I was thinking there must be an easy way to select things on ps more like shapes etc....

(GRAPE7) Thanks for the logo, must have a bash myself too, as its all about learning the skills.

everybody else thank you.

as you say png, tiff and psd will all support a transparent area, jpeg doesn't so it'll turn white.

You are right with what you are saying Wayne about tiff and psd.

I was assuming that the logo would be for a website and that why I said PNG to keep the file size down.

PNG when you need smaller file sizes with no loss in quality. PNG files are usually smaller than TIFFs, in my experience. PNG also supports alpha transparency (soft edges) and was developed to be a Web graphics replacement for GIF.

TIFF is good for any type of bitmap (pixel-based) images. TIFF produces large files, but there is no loss in quality. TIFF also preserves layers, alpha transparency, and other special features when saved from Photoshop. The type of extra information stored with TIFF files varies in different Photoshop versions.

PSD are Photoshop's native format. Use PSD when you need to preserve layers, transparency, adjustment layers, masks, clipping paths, layer styles, blending modes, vector text and shapes, et

.gif also supports transparent background & smaller sized so should be better for using on a web page but not always better quality as the others

Gif does support the transparent part, but gif seems to be loosing ground and popularity compared to png for graphics like this.

Horses for courses. GIF supports animations but is limited to 256 colours so for this kind of logo the loss is not really noticeable:

PPS1.gif

But anything with intricate shading would suffer much more noticeably.

CHEERS

Back