CSC/Mirrorless

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Any recommendations for a CSC/Mirrorless camera to use as a general non work business, for holidays and travels etc?

The 5D3 and backup cameras I have for business use are too heavy and bulky for a walkabout camera for personal and leisure purposes.

Budget around £500 to include one lens

Yup. The flip screen is becoming the norm rather than the fully articulated. The GX8 has the latter but blows the budget.

An alternative to the GX7, particularly if size and weight are important, would be the Panasonic GM5 + 12-32mm lens. It comes in under you £500 budget as well.

Cheers,

Simon.

Thanks!

Being relatively new to the world of CSC / mirrorless - are these cropped sensors or full frame. So for example would the Panasonic 12-32 lens actually be 12-32?

No, Nikon 1 is 2.7x crop, M43 is 2x crop, APSC is 1.5x crop, FF is FF. Different CSCs have different size sensors.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Being relatively new to the world of CSC / mirrorless - are these cropped sensors or full frame. So for example would the Panasonic 12-32 lens actually be 12-32?

@twist has given you the 'crop factors', so the Panasonic 12-32mm would have an effective FoV of 24-64mm when compared to full frame as Panasonic is a m4/3 system.

Olympus E10 with 12-32 is nice and portable.

A6000 with 16-50mm lens is very compact for an aps-c sensor camera. Great focusing ability also.

Everyone will recommend whatever they shoot themselves (I shoot an A6000 so would recommend that!) so your best option will be to go and handle some cameras in Currys/Jessops and see which you like yourself. Any CSC will deliver excellent results but if you don't like the way it physically handles or the menu system you won't get the best out of it.

As Stevelmx5 said, you need to go and try a few to see how they feel to you.

Like Steve I have the a6000 and think it's great - small enough with the 16-50 to fit in a coat pocket, but a different option may suit you better.

I had an e-m10 which was great and fitted into a jacket pocket.

What about a Sony RX100 or LX100 ?

Do you really want/need another system camera? If you only want one lens, I'd consider a fixed lens compact like the RX100 or LX100.

Any recommendations for a CSC/Mirrorless camera to use as a general non work business, for holidays and travels etc?

The 5D3 and backup cameras I have for business use are too heavy and bulky for a walkabout camera for personal and leisure purposes.

Budget around £500 to include one lens

I'm in a similar position. I know very little about this end of the camera market so looking for recommendations. Quite like the look of the more "retro" ones - possibly the Fuji X30 ?

Lots of good points there, and lots of models to try in store. I'll maybe pop into a local store and have a play with some of the ones mentioned above.

I definitely want interchangeable lenses, just want the one to try first and then buy more as budget allows.

Thanks for the help as ever!

Lots of good points there, and lots of models to try in store. I'll maybe pop into a local store and have a play with some of the ones mentioned above.

I definitely want interchangeable lenses, just want the one to try first and then buy more as budget allows.

Thanks for the help as ever!
If the main driver for this purchase is reducing bulk and weight, and you want to end up with several lenses, then I'd definitely recommend a micro 4/3 system. With the APS-C options you may have a small body, but the lenses are much bigger than the micro 4/3 equivalents.

If the main driver for this purchase is reducing bulk and weight, and you want to end up with several lenses, then I'd definitely recommend a micro 4/3 system. With the APS-C options you may have a small body, but the lenses are much bigger than the micro 4/3 equivalents.

I don't think that's necessarily true. If you can restrict yourself to small primes or compact or collapsible zooms the Sony Axxx system shouldn't be significantly larger than MFT.

Here's a GX7 with 25mm f1.8 and a Sony A6000 with 35mm f1.8...

http://camerasize.com/compact/#472.411,535.410,ha,t

IMVHO the difference in bulk between these two isn't significant but you could pick lenses that would make a significant difference. You could for example fit a Voigtlander 25mm f0.95 to the GX7 or a Sony 24mm f1.8 to the A6000 :D Chosoe carefully and limit yourself to the compact options and the A6000 needn't be a big fat lump.

Stick a smaller prime on 5D. It's very reasonable package and it has real viewfinder and reliable focusing like none of the fancy little thingies. Best of all - no extra expense.

Stick a smaller prime on 5D. It's very reasonable package and it has real viewfinder and reliable focusing like none of the fancy little thingies. Best of all - no extra expense.

Are you drunk again?

Dont think its that bad an idea really. It's not like a 5D iteration is like a 1 series or a Brony' or 'Blad for Gods sake.
Mind you, think you'd be best with a Lumix G6 and an older 14-45 standard zoom.....

Agreed, the A6000 is better than the original 5D in every way except shallow DOF. But theres ways around that with lenses.

Which lenses in particular? You'd need a f/0.95 just to get a mundane f/1.4 equivalent aperture.

The problem with a system camera is that you then start building a system with it, which you then end up not taking with you as you have too much gubbins to cart around with it...... get a fixed lens jobby. LX100, etc, etc......

Which lenses in particular? You'd need a f/0.95 just to get a mundane f/1.4 equivalent aperture.

Ever heard of using longer lenses for shallower dof?
I had a Mitakon f0.95 for E mount. So thats also available, perhaps you should research the mount a bit more.

The problem with a system camera is that you then start building a system with it, which you then end up not taking with you as you have too much gubbins to cart around with it...... get a fixed lens jobby. LX100, etc, etc......

You've got a point. I've come across people with a M43 system for lightness, but with several bodies and many many lenses in their bag.

I think the RX100 looks interesting, but I have yet to try one. I am a bit wary of Sony though.

Sony was never on my radar until I heard about the A6000. When I was testing other cameras at the time, CSCs bridges and compacts I found they were all lacking in af speed. I think things such as the Sony menu was competely redesigned and there are a lot of extra features within the A6000. Also capturing raw was a plus.

No one mentioned Fuji ?

The price of the XE-1 is amazing ! If you don't want action shots...

Then there is the X-M1 or X-A1 - keep your eye out on the fuji refurb store for some great offers :)

Alternatively the X-30 is £279 on the refurb store and if you use Paypal12 code you get 10% of that !

Not mentioned yet but what about the Canon M3. I believe you can also buy an adaper to use your other Canon lenses if needed. As Justin above, I like Fuji cameras and would be my choice as a smaller second system, the older Xpro1, XE-1 etc.......... offer excellent value for money and all their lenses are good.

If you don't mind used, I just picked up a used Fuji XE2 from Wex for about 310 and a new 27mm 2.8 pancake for 188 from Curry's. Nice compact set up. Well regarded sensor and (expensive) lenses. Only slight minus for me is not being able to adapt my canon lenses. Oh and I don't know why camera makers won't let me have an evf AND a touch screen.
I kept revisting them but couldn.t find a reason to go eos m.
Don't forget to budget for a fistful of spare batteries if you're going mirrorless!

Back