B&W Cuba & Mexico

Name
Rowan
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

A mix of film and digital photos from my trip to Cuba and Mexico, comments and critique always appreciated!

Thanks,

Rowan

PS: These look best on a display with high brighness

29964158854_0d4d6a8007_c.jpg

29964171964_8be75d727b_c.jpg

30596362525_6f9f0e25f1_b.jpg

29962384813_b8227a1e87_c.jpg

30479262712_fc6e32c781_c.jpg

Any comments?

It's not clear what you are trying to convey with these shots.

The location appears to be incidental to the abstract nature of the shots, I feel that you need more recognisable elements in the frame, the third one has the building but I'm still not sure at all what the 'message' is.

It's not clear what you are trying to convey with these shots.

The location appears to be incidental to the abstract nature of the shots, I feel that you need more recognisable elements in the frame, the third one has the building but I'm still not sure at all what the 'message' is.

The location, whether it be Cuba or Mexico, is largely irrelevant to the images. They are abstracts yes but beyond that I haven't tried to convey a particular message as such.

The third shot is verging on the fine art architecture style, which is something i've been experimenting with recently, but a lot of the aerials and wires at the bottom are distracting for that style of photography. As art abstracts they may have some merit, but in 4 out of the 5 i'm afraid I don't know what the star of the show is?

PS: These look best on a display with high brighness

If I took the time to calibrate a monitor, I wouldn't mess with the settings to suit a particular set of images, but just assume they weren't taken/processed very well :D

The third shot is verging on the fine art architecture style, which is something i've been experimenting with recently, but a lot of the aerials and wires at the bottom are distracting for that style of photography. As art abstracts they may have some merit, but in 4 out of the 5 i'm afraid I don't know what the star of the show is?

I feel like the wires and aerials add extra interest to the composition, I never intended it to be a fine art architectural shot. I just liked the scene in front of me and decided to photograph it. So as normal photographs they have no merit at all?

If I took the time to calibrate a monitor, I wouldn't mess with the settings to suit a particular set of images, but just assume they weren't taken/processed very well :D

Of course I don't mean everyone should recalibrate their monitors just for my photos. What I mean is that they look great on my computer monitor but I find them much too dark on my phone screen, for example.

So as normal photographs they have no merit at all?

It seems the part the contributors are struggling with so far is that it is a little unclear what the focal point of each of the photo's is? It is hard to see what the story is/what you are trying to say. The third one has a sort of dystopian feel, which personally I can get on board with, but in the others I am just not sure what I am meant to be seeing? In the first two the eye is drawn to the light spot in the centre, but it is too small to see what it going on there - what am I meant to be seeing?

All that being said, they absolutely have merit if they say something to you.

It seems the part the contributors are struggling with so far is that it is a little unclear what the focal point of each of the photo's is? It is hard to see what the story is/what you are trying to say. The third one has a sort of dystopian feel, which personally I can get on board with, but in the others I am just not sure what I am meant to be seeing? In the first two the eye is drawn to the light spot in the centre, but it is too small to see what it going on there - what am I meant to be seeing?

All that being said, they absolutely have merit if they say something to you.

The first is a figure in doorway and the second is an oil rig in the distance. They're minimalist, if you were able to see exactly what was going on there'd be less of a sense of mystery.

marmite shots love them or hate them
im afraid im in the latter

I think the second and the third are really good shots. The dystopian vibe of the building is really strong and I'm enjoying the light and the texture play in the first two. However I'd be interested to see the penultimate one in colour, I'm not sold on the play of different shades of black but i do like the wall texture going on, also not dying over the last one, its not as strong as the others

Last edited:
The first is a figure in doorway and the second is an oil rig in the distance. They're minimalist, if you were able to see exactly what was going on there'd be less of a sense of mystery.

I understand what you're getting at, but in my opinion those elements are so small that there is nothing there to pique ones interest - were they bigger or slightly more prominent then you might find people more inclined to investigate further as to what is going on in those areas.

Back