Cuckoo From The Galloway Region Of Scotland

very nice set- shame no one else has made any comments'- you'll get used to that though :)

The last image:) :) I like that the most- although they all look a tad under exposed, but that's just personal to me I guess

well caught

Les :)

Love the last one with the bluebells.

Great shots Martin, I'm in Newton Stewart and heard Cuckoo's but haven't seen any as yet.

Kevin

Very nice Martin, last one for me (y)

Three good captures Martin although a bit more room in the first would have been nice unless that`s all you had at the time. The edits are to my tase but as mentioned the fact they are a tad on the dark side will not suite all. Ok, given that these are a pretty skittish bird at the best of times I wonder if in fact it`s been lured with the usual mealworms? The perches and setting also looks as if it`s a chosen spot by the photographer, any insight on that would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Ok, given that these are a pretty skittish bird at the best of times I wonder if in fact it`s been lured with the usual mealworms? The perches and setting also looks as if it`s a chosen spot by the photographer, any insight on that would be appreciated.

I have been visiting a local place for the last 3 years to get the picture of a cuckoo I wanted. as you say they can
be skittish and being wild birds don't always come in at the right angle or sit in the right place
Yes it does come back to the same place every year but not always at the same time of day and
often doesn't stay long.
I have loads of the classic bird on a stick pictures and have spent hours waiting for the right moment as it flies in or off
later, finally this year. on my first visit I got the picture I have been after, despite the camera playing up
I really can't see the problem if people are trying to attract what I think is a stunning bird when in flight,.
It still takes a lot of patience, skill and knowledge to get these shots Martin did really well even if it did take a few mealworms, we all do it with feeders for birds in our gardens

Last edited:
I have been visiting a local place for the last 3 years to get the picture of a cuckoo I wanted as you say they can
be skittish and being wild birds don't always come in at the right angle or sit in the right place
Yes it does come back to the same place every years but not always at the same time of day and
often doesn't stay long.
I have loads of the classic bird on a stick pictures and have spent hours waiting for the right moment as it flies in or off
later, finally this years on my first visit I got the picture I have been after, despite the camera playing up
I really can't see the problem if people are trying to attract what I think is a stunning bird when in flight,
It still takes a lot of patience, skill and knowledge to get these shots Martin did really well even if it did take a few mealworms, we all do it with feeders for birds in our gardens
I never mentioned anything about it being a problem Ingrid, in truth those were your words. Comparing it to feeding garden birds has always been used as a comparison as you are well aware, but you`d have to say though that to all but those who have absolutely no clue at all they can work that one out for themselves when it comes to garden bird shots. I like many more out there just feel that it`s good to expand a little bit more open with the info on how the shot came about in such circumstances. As I have said in the past if someone new to the game knows of a Cuckoo or a particular BOP on their patch they would then be trying for ever and a day like yourself to obtain a similar image, so if they are not aware of how they could possibly attract it for the shot, do you not feel it would a good idea for people to be a little more open about it in their post?

That is the only real point I am trying to put across here, it`s not a debate about whether me or anyone else feels it`s the right thing to do as it each to their own. Whilst you omitted the first part of my reply in the quote I did say that they were good shots which they are. I have never been able to get my head around one thing, and that is if there is never a problem to use this practice, then why do so many never mention it ? I am not sure if you know the answer to that one or not but to date nobody has ever given an honest answer, you ask a polite question and it just gets met with a reply which just attempts to defeend what they have done. It seems people can ask all sorts of questions about settings and gear used when commenting yet the one question which I believe to be equally important never gets answered.

then why do so many never mention it ?
Probably because they don't think it matters or they remember a certain quartet from a few years ago.

you ask a polite question and it just gets met with a reply which just attempts to defeend what they have done
You missed out the word barbed before polite ...

That is the only real point I am trying to put across here, it`s not a debate about whether me or anyone else feels it`s the right thing to do as it each to their own. Whilst you omitted the first part of my reply in the quote I did say that they were good shots which they are. I have never been able to get my head around one thing, and that is if there is never a problem to use this practice, then why do so many never mention it ? I am not sure if you know the answer to that one or not but to date nobody has ever given an honest answer, you ask a polite question and it just gets met with a reply which just attempts to defeend what they have done. It seems people can ask all sorts of questions about settings and gear used when commenting yet the one question which I believe to be equally important never gets answered.

There nothing to stop anyone really interested frim asking the questions themselves is there.?
When asked in the past |I have always sent a map to make it easy to find the location and advice to get some LIVE mealworms, it's not interest in the dried ones, As soon as mention is made on line the field is crowded with the
same people day after day blocking the view for newcomers same with local kingfishers,

new to the game knows of a Cuckoo or a particular BOP on their patch they would then be trying for ever and a day like yourself to obtain a similar image, so if they are not aware of how they could possibly attract it for the shot, do you not feel it would a good idea for people to be a little more open about it in their post?

Attracting the birds is not the problem, if as have said, you just want a cuckoo on a stick or in the grass eating mealworms, I have plenty of those, it was getting one with full wing stretch that made it for me
It doesn't have set timetable, so you can easily miss the incoming flight shots.or indeed the birds my not show at all and when the camera plays up at just the moment,, frustration isn't a word I use, but I got the picture.

You should know that any wildlife photography is all about patience, I used to have access to a badger sett on a friends land .they were fine if it was just me sitting a log, even used to come up and sniff my foot, when I took a friend with me they just sniffed air and went back or scuttled off quick

Last edited:
Probably because they don't think it matters or they remember a certain quartet from a few years ago.

You missed out the word barbed before polite ...

Probably because...so not just an assumption then Chris? If the OP or anybody else just came out and said it`s because of X Y Z it would at least be a reply imo.

Not sure why i`d have to include the word "barbed" when it was in fact a genuine question, but if you really think otherwise then there`s obviously nothing anyone could ever say to convince you otherwise. I ain`t out to convert anyone here, but as mentioned I always think it`s good policy to give an explanation to others. I have asked that question in many a group and a couple of other forums since all those years ago, and it`s been met with many a reply such as...I was never aware of how some people ever manage to get those types of shot, I think I might give that a go myeslf, and the otherside is obviously there will be those that do not agree. But at the end of the day it is still discussed in an adult manner, but no probs that the subject is still taboo in here, I will refrain from mentioning it again :)

There no5ing to stop anyone really interested frim asking the questions themselves is there.?
When asked in the past |I have always sent a map to make it easy to find the location and advice to get some LIVE mealworms, it's not interest in the dried ones, As soon as mention is made on line the field is crowded with the
same people day after day blocking the view for newcomers same with local kingfishers,

Attracting the birds is not the problem, if as have said, you just want a cuckoo on a stick or in the grass eating mealworms, I have plenty of those, it was getting one with full wing stretch that made it for me
It doesn't have set timetable, so you can easily miss the incoming flight shots and when the camera plays up at just the m0ment,, frustration isn't a word I use, but I got the picture. or indeed the birds my not show at all

You should that any wildlife photography is all about patience, I used to have access to a badger sett on a friends land .they were fine if it was just me sitting a log, even used to come u and sniff my foot, when I too a friend with me they just sniffed air and went back or scuttled off quickk

Thanks for your thoughts Ingrid.

There no5ing to stop anyone really interested frim asking the questions themselves is there.?
Well there would be if the person viewing was totally unaware of things, and as mentioned I refer to newcomers as opposed to anyone else, I see plenty of newbies attempting to ask something with regards to technical hardware but will openly admit I am not sure how to expalin this but blah blah blah, i`d imagine that they would not for one minute doubt that an image as such was nothing other than a bird just landing and taking off from a premeditated position, and if they did ask such a question then would it be treated the same way? I fully understand about the bird itself, with regards to patience everyone has different levels of that I say. Patience for me is still waiting to get my first Barn Owl shot, not by going to somewhere everyone else is going but just searching what I would class as potential local environments at various times. It may well come good one day or it may not.

There are two Cuckoos that have again returned to our local reserve, whether or not they are the same as others years I do not know. There are a few regulars that have been coming down as most years aiming to get some shots, never have I either seen anyone luring them on to a post whilst I am at the reserve or any pictures posted up online or at any of the local exhibitions that have been held in the past. Those people are quite happy to try for an image without any intervention, that`s their choice whilst others choose to do it other ways.

Probably because...so not just an assumption then Chris? If the OP or anybody else just came out and said it`s because of X Y Z it would at least be a reply imo.

Not sure why i`d have to include the word "barbed" when it was in fact a genuine question, but if you really think otherwise then there`s obviously nothing anyone could ever say to convince you otherwise. I ain`t out to convert anyone here, but as mentioned I always think it`s good policy to give an explanation to others. I have asked that question in many a group and a couple of other forums since all those years ago, and it`s been met with many a reply such as...I was never aware of how some people ever manage to get those types of shot, I think I might give that a go myeslf, and the otherside is obviously there will be those that do not agree. But at the end of the day it is still discussed in an adult manner, but no probs that the subject is still taboo in here, I will refrain from mentioning it again :)

Right, sod Tactful...

you were warned when you asked to come back after you and the rest of the gang of four were banned that ANY resumption of the behaviour would mean goodbye.

In case you forgot, you and the rest of your adhesive pals were banned for continually taunting and prodding certain members about them showing "baited" shots of BoP's...

This thread is you reverting to type softly. IT STOPS NOW - AS DO THE PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE LITTLE DIGS.

Very nice set! #2 especially, but I like the clarity and sharpness in all three.

Back