Cumbria and Northumberland

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

This is my first post in this section - and I think on this forum. I've only just had a chance to sort though the shots I took whilst travelling around the North of England back in January. I spent about a week up there and managed to take a few shots.

I’ve also had a bit of a play with them in Lightroom – some more obviously than others.

C&C on anything welcome!

First stop is on the way to Derwent Water and Keswick from Ullswater. We’d been driving along the side of Ullswater in fog so thick we couldn’t see the lake which was next to the road, then we climbed out of the mist to find this…

3780085453_72a2b745d9_o.jpg

#2 Then up the road, we’d been luck enough to be treated to a dusting of snow on the higher hills

3780085273_7817cf17eb_o.jpg

#3 A bit further and we arrived in Keswick. I don’t think I’ve ever seen such good reflections...

3780897824_1b0d69ae54_o.jpg

#4...or mist in the hills on the other side of the water.

3780084733_2e9763e8ea_o.jpg

#5 We also made the trip up to Hadrian’s Wall and took a couple of shots…

3780084585_546710d996_o.jpg

#6 and

3780898388_b0d32b5e2b_o.jpg

I’m new to this landscape stuff so let me know what you think. Any pointers would also be good.

Thanks

Dave

Last edited:
As it is your first post I'll give you a chance to resize these pictures to be within the forums rules (800 pixels on the longest side) rather than just edit them to links now.

Nice to see some natural looking landscapes :)

They are quite good. The compositions could be better but that will come with time. The horizon is a bit central in some and the 'subject' could be positioned better in others. Views with major reflections can often look best with the mirror line half way up the frame for symmetry.

Oh and if you number your images it makes commenting easier.

Welcome to the forums

Totally agree with Robert. It is nice to see some landscapes that look natural instead of the current fashion for going way over the top.
Hadrian's wall is looking good.

These are amazing! I particularly like the contrast in the last picture :)

Like the first Hadrians Wall one, think I would have cloned out the red anorak though, unless you required it in.
C

A lovely set. I agree with the other comments, but also the reflected sunlight on the "mist in the hills on the other side of the water" shot (see why they need to be numbered? :)) is a bit bedazzling. You could try and reduce the exposure on that using the graduated filter tool in Lightroom, which is one of those tools that really work and work well. That's assuming you're using Lightroom 2 of course.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Robert, I've resized them. Sorry - I should have looked properly for posting guidelines beforehand.

some stunning images there. #1 is my favourite and has plenty of wow about it.

Back