Curbar Edge landscape

Edit My Images
No
Let me know what you think of this shot I took at Curber edge, looking out towards Chatsworth. It is a blend of two shots, one exposed for the sky, one for the landscape.

IMG_1767[small].jpg

ISO 100
f/22
1/2 Second
22mm

Thanks!

Well it may be my monitor...but I can't see anything below the horizon. Sky and cloud formation looks nice but the sun is well blown.

regards

The foreground looks fine on my monitor. It's a very nice shot. Some careful processing could give it a bit more punch though.

stepheno said:
Well it may be my monitor...but I can't see anything below the horizon. Sky and cloud formation looks nice but the sun is well blown.

I think it must be your monitor. There should be dark hills below the sunset with the foreground getting steadily lighter closer to the camera.

CT said:
The foreground looks fine on my monitor. It's a very nice shot. Some careful processing could give it a bit more punch though.

I spent quite a while on this one but can't seem to get the contrast I'm after. My main problem is trying to balance the foreground and sky. Feel free to have a go at it! :D

Thanks Skinnt - a calibration is obviously required.

regards

Skintt said:
I spent quite a while on this one but can't seem to get the contrast I'm after. My main problem is trying to balance the foreground and sky. Feel free to have a go at it! :D

I'll try to have a go for you a bit later. I really must pack it in though, my Gallery album is slowly filling up with other peeps stuff. That might be no bad thing though! :LOL:

CT said:
...my Gallery album is slowly filling up with other peeps stuff. That might be no bad thing though! :LOL:

CT you should make a hidden album within your own and upload other peoples pics that you have worked on into that. It will not show in your gallery unless you log in but will allow hotlinking on the forums. Thats the way I do it ;)

If you don't have the permissions to do this (can't remember what permissions you have now) but you like the idea I can set it up for you :)

Steve - the times I've thought about doing just that! :stupid:

If you can check the permissions or set it up, that would be great! :thumb:

CT said:
Steve - the times I've thought about doing just that! :stupid:

If you can check the permissions or set it up, that would be great! :thumb:

Try that now, it should appear for you on the first page when logged in to your gallery ;)

:thumb: Steve - I owe you a pint.

next time I see you! :whistling

CT said:
:thumb: Steve - I owe you a pint.

next time I see you! :whistling

That's OK, you can give it to me, and I'll pass it onto Steve next time I see him :D

I think I should apologise to Skintt for taking his thread completely off topic. :icon_eek:

Very sorry my friend.

Steve said:
I think I should apologise to Skintt for taking his thread completely off topic. :icon_eek:

Very sorry my friend.

No problem - gave me time to work on the photo myself :D Is this an improvement?

IMG_1767[small2].jpg

I created a levels adjustment layer in PSP9, increased the lightness and contrast slightly then used a gradient mask to stop the sky from being affected by the adjustments. My only problem with the photo now is the strange artifacts that have appeared where the hills in the background are. Any ideas?

I have had a very quick and dirty play as I didn’t feel so much that the foreground was the problem as the blown out area around the sun. It was attracting all of your attention and leading you away from the foreground.

IMG_1767_small.jpg

I cloned over some of the sun using other sections of the sky, and altered the amount of blue, yellow and red saturation in the sky. I then applied a general amount of USM using a large radius just to add a small amount of even contrast and then on the front section of the foreground I have applied some Smart Sharpen to again make that the starting point and to give the viewer some detail. All work here was done on your original photo and not your second one.

By working on the individual parts of the picture independently you can prevent the “strange artefacts” which is probably the beginning of posterisation. If you do the equivalent in PSP but working on your original high resolution file I am sure that you can get a very good result.

Hope that helps?

Now I can see the foreground....and I haven't recalibrated yet :banana:

regards

Steve said:
By working on the individual parts of the picture independently you can prevent the “strange artefacts” which is probably the beginning of posterisation. If you do the equivalent in PSP but working on your original high resolution file I am sure that you can get a very good result.

Hope that helps?

I think there must be a colour issue with my monitor as the odd colour banding around the hills is identical in both our reworkings. Also, the sky seems a little duller compared to the orignal, but having said that, I'm a sucker for high colour saturation :LOL:.
I never thought of selectively applying USM so might have a bash at that sometime when I have photoshop at my disposal.

I appreciate the comments and work that's been done. It can only make me a better photographer :thumb:

High contrast is fine but your sky was blown out completely around the sun, Photoshop levels told me that, it was not my opinion. On some pictures you can get away with it but on landscapes of this nature, they need to be exposed correctly or it will show up and distract.

I have looked at the picture on two different screens now and don't see the issue that you are describing with the colour banding; admittedly one of the screens is not the best and is about to be replaced but the other is fine. How do everyone else’s picture look on your screen?

If you are happy with the shot then that is job done as far as I am concerned, it is after all your picture. :) Our input is just our view of your work and that doesn't make us right or you wrong. Sometimes our meddling helps and other times we make a good picture into something a lot worse. :)

I did have a quick look at this last night. I know what you mean about the banding, it's as though there's a mist which starts at the foot of the hills, although it could be to do with the method or manner in which you combined the sky and foreground images? I found it very difficult to adjust the sky and foreground separately as that dark band acrooss the centre made the transition difficult.

Anyway, I certainly couldn't improve on what Steve has done there, but it's still a still a nice shot. :)

Thanks for all the comments guys. It's useful to get comments from like-minded folk as I find it hard to view my own work from 'outside the box' if you know what I mean? As it stands now I'm very happy with the photo, although I know now how it could have been improved when it was taken :D

Back