Curse of the MacBook Butterfly Keyboard

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
The keyboard on my MacBook has been unreliable as of late with repeating keystrokes, however yesterday things took a turn for the worse and one of the keys got stuck into position, having tried to unsuccessfully resolve this myself I found an article explaining the extended service eligibility and an online check confirmed this and so I booked an appointment with the local service centre.

So today I ventured into town, had a chat with the tech who then told me I was a few months out of the service plan eligibility and that a repair would be around £700 as a keyboard replacement also requires the battery, touchpad and palmrest to be replaced.

A replacement MacBook Pro with 16Gb of RAM was coming out at £2200, all to replace a MacBook that was purchased in 2018.

Not a great outcome to be fair

Anyone else had a similar situation with these damn butterfly keyboards?

If you can go to an actual Apple Store and make sad eyes at them, that can help. Definitely worth trying, especially as there is a Class Action going down in the US regarding this problem.

If you can go to an actual Apple Store and make sad eyes at them, that can help. Definitely worth trying, especially as there is a Class Action going down in the US regarding this problem.

140 mile round-trip to do that, tempted though!

I had mine for just over 4yrs so not eligible
It is a while ago now, but I quoted UK (EU) Law to an Apple Store Manager and got a replacement item. I think they tend towards USA law...

I have a friend who went through 3 keyboards on their family machines, though in a much shorter time than yourself. Good luck with getting sympathy in an Apple shop.

The keyboard on this 2014 Dell XPS has just failed again - first replaced under warranty 2017 - and I'm going to start using a bluetooth keyboard because I'm concerned about fragility of the old ribbon connectors. At least swapping out is only a case of disassembly.

Last edited:
The service recall includes laptops back to early 2015... 8yrs

But only lasts 4yrs from the date of purchase, so a 2015 laptop would be able to claim until 2019/2020 depending on the purchase date

Back