Custodians

sirch

Lu-Tze
Admin
Name
The other Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been snapping things with this theme in mind for the last couple of years and I think it's getting to the point where there is enough to start to pull it together into something coherent.

I am struck by the contrast between the picturesque view we are often shown of the landscape and the way it is used by those who make a living from that landscape. The agricultural approach to the countryside often seems at odds with what is promulgated as best practice.

I haven't as yet put too much effort into sequencing the following images

I think there's a certain beauty in these images that appeals to me.

Especially #5 which is the sort of half-baked job I'd come up with when I worked for BT. I knew someone who used a wire fence to carry one leg of a phone line. It was "a bit" noisy when done, but a "working temporary fix" until we could get the time to do a proper job. And that quality comes across in many of the images.

(y)

I'm probably a bit biased in liking these pictures and the idea behind them as I've been gradually building a file of pictures of the farmed landscape which I've thought about posting here.

For what it's worth, I think the first two and number 10 are a little out of place within the set shown here. The others look to me to hold well together. (y)

I think there's a certain beauty in these images that appeals to me.

Especially #5 which is the sort of half-baked job I'd come up with when I worked for BT. I knew someone who used a wire fence to carry one leg of a phone line. It was "a bit" noisy when done, but a "working temporary fix" until we could get the time to do a proper job. And that quality comes across in many of the images.

(y)
Thanks Ian, I guess it keeps the joint out out the water but I don't think it's that temporary :)

I'm probably a bit biased in liking these pictures and the idea behind them as I've been gradually building a file of pictures of the farmed landscape which I've thought about posting here.

For what it's worth, I think the first two and number 10 are a little out of place within the set shown here. The others look to me to hold well together. (y)

Thanks Dave, I debated including the first and it probably won't make the final cut if such a thing happens, I'm quite partial to #2 and I might build that theme up as a subset. I guess it's the PoV and the wide landscape in #10 and again something to cogitate on.

For me #11 was perhaps the most out-of-place but that is largely due to the tones I think

I'm quite partial to #2 and I might build that theme up as a subset.

That's the hardest part of editing a batch of pictures - culling a favourite because it doesn't fit. :(

That's the hardest part of editing a batch of pictures - culling a favourite because it doesn't fit. :(

But I'm not convinced it doesn't fit. The theme is around the idea that landowners and country-folk know what is best for the countryside and are custodians of it for future generations

There's something about #3 I like .... the overgrown narrow gap in the wall blocked off with something leftover from a building site.

#9 ... I never saw anything like that ... a fast-flowing river through a gateway ... nice framing.

And who can resist #10!!!

.... sorry, that doesn't help much.

#3 is my favourite, I've decided.

Graphic containment showing the oof but nearby building and tree ... undisturbed cuteness in the FG. ;)

Thanks David

#9 ... I never saw anything like that ... a fast-flowing river through a gateway ... nice framing.

It's quite common in the lakes and dales, it's not a gateway, they just use a gate across the beck (stream) to stop the sheep using the gap to get out.

I'd say this set shows that farmers are, above all things, pragmatic about the countryside, simply interested in making their farm work with whatever is available while keeping the livestock in and the public out. You managed to include both blue and orange backets. ;)

If you decide to title the set I reckon it should be called "Git Orf Moi Laarnd". ;)

But I'm not convinced it doesn't fit. The theme is around the idea that landowners and country-folk know what is best for the countryside and are custodians of it for future generations
I was thinking in general terms about editing projects. I should have made that clearer.

I'd say this set shows that farmers are, above all things, pragmatic about the countryside, simply interested in making their farm work with whatever is available while keeping the livestock in and the public out. You managed to include both blue and orange backets. ;)

If you decide to title the set I reckon it should be called "Git Orf Moi Laarnd". ;)

I think there will be more buckets ;-)

Pragmatic is one thing but after a while it is indistinguishable from fly-tipping ... #8 is on an RSPB bird reserve

I think there will be more buckets ;-)

Pragmatic is one thing but after a while it is indistinguishable from fly-tipping ... #8 is on an RSPB bird reserve

I guess the question is whether it's their land or the RSPB's. Not ideal (and pretty much all farms seem to have a place like that somewhere).

Very interesting thread. For some years I've been collecting images I file under the heading 'fragile land' (also the name of my website). These are mainly from the Snowdonia National Park. Whilst I agree that some farmers are pretty blind to visual damage, it seems to me that the real damage is done by big organisations, particularly the utilities. Even the National Trust can be pretty gross (inappropriate hydro schemes, insensitive paths and bridges, too many signs....). Hill farmers in particular deserve some sympathy - often a hard and poorly paid life - but the big boys are just appalling even though they have the resources to be much better.

I was reminded of this thread the other day while walking locally - one of the farmers is creating a desolation of waste involving scrap metal, rubble and dumped equipment over several large areas.

Back