Cuteness Warning: Serval Kittens

grumpybadger

Alan Rickman
Name
Paul Beastall
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, despite spending more than six months of my life photographing African wildlife, I had never seen serval before my last trip. Then, in September, my guide managed to find some kittens in their den that were only about a couple of months old.

Cute is an understatement for these little fellows. Some of the pictures are far from my finest photographically, the poor light and long grass saw to that, but they still make me smile!

1. Mum

ISO_100_NR7V3538.jpg

2. Mum by den

ISO_500_NR7V3855.jpg

3. Peek-a-boo

ISO_500_NR7V3918.jpg

4. One of the few full-body shots

ISO_500_NR7V3937.jpg

5. A pile of kittens
ISO_500_NR7V3963.jpg

6. Play pounce

ISO_500_NR7V3999.jpg

7. Killing a twig (if you look closely, you can see they are young enough to still have blue eyes)
ISO_500_NR7V4013.jpg

8. The hard stare

ISO_500_NR7V4034.jpg

I hope you enjoy. It was one of the most enjoyable hours I've ever spent watching wildlife.

Paul

Cracking shots. Makes you realise how the markings work so well as camouflage.

They are soooo adorable I really like 8 but 7 is definately my favourite, I love the colour from his eyes and the paw curled around the stick, such character!!

Thank you for sharing!!!

Definitely an 'aah' factor there. Great shots you must have been chuffed with them. Never seen those type of cats before.

Cracking shots. Makes you realise how the markings work so well as camouflage.

It certainly does. Our guide basically drove over right next to the mum just before I took the first shot. I still couldn't see her! These Massai guides have amazing eyesight.

They are soooo adorable I really like 8 but 7 is definately my favourite, I love the colour from his eyes and the paw curled around the stick, such character!!

Thank you for sharing!!!

Thanks. I think 7 is my favourite too. Not a great photograph but what a pose...

Very nice Paul considering the conditions you did very well :)

Thanks Ian. I hope to have another go at some point with better light but it will probably take another six months of searching!

Definitely an 'aah' factor there. Great shots you must have been chuffed with them. Never seen those type of cats before.

There are a few servals in zoos in England. I really like the small cats - serval, caracal, African wild-cat but they aren't easy to spot. I have no pictures of a caracal as I have only seen them fleetingly after dusk and the only picture I have of an African wild-cat looks like a domestic tabby. But I guess you can't win them all!

Wow!, sorry but I can't think of much else to say!

What great shots of very cute and fluffy preadators

great shots - not sure i can pick a fave, lovely cats (y)

Never come across these before, thanks for sharing, they look fantastic animals.

Thanks all. They are great animals. The adults are very nimble and can jump about 2 metres in the air to catch birds coming in to land or taking off.

I am due back out in Kenya in about 3 weeks. I just hope the situation calms down in time.

Thanks all. They are great animals. The adults are very nimble and can jump about 2 metres in the air to catch birds coming in to land or taking off.

I am due back out in Kenya in about 3 weeks. I just hope the situation calms down in time.

I think we may just need to have a new section for your shots titled "Civil War and Mayhem" :(

Back