Cutting granite at home.

I've had a similar problem in the past with induction hobs.
They are not all the same size.
I managed to find one (eventually) that fit. The supplier of the old one had gone bust so it had to be a different brand.

Our guy looked hard and found one he thought would fit but sadly it didn't. I can't remember if that one was induction or halogen.

Parents have a kitchen sink that is overall a standard size and the hole in the counter is a standard size. it was plastic rather than metal so over time the surface wore away. When they came to replace they found that while they can get a sink to fit the hole the old sink lout of tap holes drain and overflow is unique so new sinks wont line up and allow pipework to be attached. Had to rip out 3 perfectly good joined countertops, and retile the splash backs just to replace it

Parents have a kitchen sink that is overall a standard size and the hole in the counter is a standard size. it was plastic rather than metal so over time the surface wore away. When they came to replace they found that while they can get a sink to fit the hole the old sink lout of tap holes drain and overflow is unique so new sinks wont line up and allow pipework to be attached. Had to rip out 3 perfectly good joined countertops, and retile the splash backs just to replace it
Reminds me of my dad, who despite working in the diy retail trade all his life and owning every tool known to man, was the biggest cackhanded bodger you’d ever meet. His mixer tap developed a leak, so he bought a new washer. In trying to get the top of the tap off he managed to crack one of the splash back tiles with the spanner. The tiles turned out to be obsolete, so he set about chiselling the whole lot off to replace them. In doing that he somehow managed to destroy a couple of kitchen cabinets. Which were also obsolete.

He ended up having a new fitted kitchen put in. Most expensive tap washer ever.

Reminds me of my dad, who despite working in the diy retail trade all his life and owning every tool known to man, was the biggest cackhanded bodger you’d ever meet. His mixer tap developed a leak, so he bought a new washer. In trying to get the top of the tap off he managed to crack one of the splash back tiles with the spanner. The tiles turned out to be obsolete, so he set about chiselling the whole lot off to replace them. In doing that he somehow managed to destroy a couple of kitchen cabinets. Which were also obsolete.

He ended up having a new fitted kitchen put in. Most expensive tap washer ever.
I can remember years ago doing 'simple' car repair jobs which snowballed like that too.

Bleeding the brakes, when the bleed nipple sheared, meaning you needed to replace the wheel cylinder, whereupon the brake pipe into the cylinder wouldn't release or would snap meaning a hose or brake pipe had to be replaced. Usually done at a weekend or evening when the garages or car spares places weren't open. :oops: :$

I can remember years ago doing 'simple' car repair jobs which snowballed like that too.

Bleeding the brakes, when the bleed nipple sheared, meaning you needed to replace the wheel cylinder, whereupon the brake pipe into the cylinder wouldn't release or would snap meaning a hose or brake pipe had to be replaced. Usually done at a weekend or evening when the garages or car spares places weren't open. :oops: :$
Ha ha yes, that brings back not so happy memories of grovelling around in the dark under the car, desperately trying to fix the thing you started in the morning, when you were thinking “couple of hours work, tops!”

I'd get a second opinion from another granite firm- I've seen loads of granite guys cut on site- with proper tools and extraction virtually no dust !
I have a Worx diamond grinder that I use for wall chasing and when hooked up to a powerful hoover there is virtually no dust at all .

A tricky one with it in place. I've cut plenty of tiles in my 19 years in the business including granite, but nothing as thick as a worktop.
A wet cut is really needed and dust should be minimal, it's just very messy with the sludge it makes. Have a look at rubi tools they make a rail saw, but not sure now how thick it cuts off hand. Sigma tools also make a system for a grinder.
I'd be more afraid of the granite breaking than anything else.
To take the top off will no doubt break splashback tiles. You could try emptying the cabinets and unscrewing them from the wall and winding the legs down. This may give enough space to slide it out.

Back