Cyclist types

digitalfailure

Staff Bog Cleaner 2015
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Now I've returned to world of road cycling, I need to refresh my cycling wardrobe as my baggy mountain bike kit just doesn't work well on a skinny bike.
Looking for recommendations for shorts, pros and cons for the bib type if you wear em, and also summer tights as it's still not quite sunny enough for me to inflict my bottle white legs on the outside world :runaway:

Cheers :)

Not sure a go-pro is going to cover my gentleman vegetables m8 ;)

It'll do a lot more than strapping a little box to the dangly bits

If you're looking at the cheaper end then I quite like the Tenn stuff (I've got the padded shorts). Amazon was the cheapest place at the time.

Although I don't want to pay a fortune, price isn't too much of a concern. I'm after quality and more importantly comfort when it comes to keeping my backside happy.

I go for DHB items. Reasonable price and quality.

I have there pro shorts, 3/4 pro shorts, mid range shorts, windslam windproof jacket and summer jersey.

I went for the pro shorts as the pad is the thickest. The mid range shorts have an ok pad which I use for commuting.

The windslam jersey keeps you so warm. -2/5'C over winter and its the only layer I had on top, boiling by the time I arrived at work.

Castelli are my brand of choice, they look great and the quality is excellent. I normally need to add a size to get their stuff to fit e.g. M to L.

As above regarding dhb, I used them for years with no issues, the quality is surprisingly good for the price.

Bib sorts are my preference over shorts, much comfier and they stop wind getting in round the back, it is slightly more difficult to get a toilet break though :p

I do have bib tights but 90 percent of the time it's too hot, I am an always got type of person though.

Gore is another good shout but I've only got one of their jerseys so can't say too much about the brand.

I've been out of biking for a while but gotten back into it now. Although my baggy biking gear doesn't fit...I've been away longer and had a few more beers than I thought :rolleyes:

OH NO not another thread in support of men in lycra ,someone take me to the trick-cyclist :rage::rage::rage:

Now I've returned to world of road cycling, I need to refresh my cycling wardrobe as my baggy mountain bike kit just doesn't work well on a skinny bike.
Looking for recommendations for shorts, pros and cons for the bib type if you wear em, and also summer tights as it's still not quite sunny enough for me to inflict my bottle white legs on the outside world :runaway:

Cheers :)

Castelli.

Sorpasso full legs for winter
Nanoflex's for spring/autumn (either the shorts with kneewarmers, or the 3/4's)
Endurance X2's for summer

(all bibs, can't stand the non-bib sort - spend half the ride pulling the damned things back up. Ideally the bibs should feel a little tight on the shoulders when you're standing - they're intended to be just under tension when you're crouched on the bike, so standing up straight should make them feel like they're digging into your shoulders very slightly)

Slightly Cheaper options can be found in the Sportful Range - same kind of materials,cut and function (Sportful are actually designed / manufactured in the same factory just completely different branding and slightly different approaches...

For the Sorpasso/Nanoflex equivalents look at the sportfuls Fiandre / Norain kit...

As for summer tights... Can't help - I generally go with Shorts, with the kneewarmers for the first couple of hours of a sunday morning ride, then by around 10:15 or so, when it's warmed up a little, lose the warmers.

One thing though.... They're italian sizing... read ferociously small! Try before you buy, or if buying online, order the size you think and the next size up, then send whichever one doesn't fit back, i'll put money on it being the smaller size! (Italian kit is silly size... I've a Santini shirt that's branded as a 6XL - actual chest size 46" (that'd be probably a XXL at most in "normal" sizing...)

Plenty of stuff to chew through there guys :)

Bib shorts looking like the way to go then.

Re the helmet.... That's something I'm carrying over from my mtb wardrobe

I started with DHB, but then bought a pair of Castelli bib shorts and never looked back, so much more comfortable. Not that DHB are bad, but its like driving a Fiesta vs an Aston Martin.

I also have some Castelli arm and leg warmers for when its a bit chilly, saves having some bib longs, I just use the shorts and the leg warmers combined. My jersey is from Prendas Ciclismo, purely because I love coffee and always wanted a Rocket espresso machine. :)

http://www.prendas.co.uk/rocket-esp...-santini-with-full-zip-and-short-sleeves.html

Ps don't skimp on the most important piece of kit, a decent helmet

All bike helmets are tested to the same standards (a fall from 12mph) regardless of cost. Theres no proof that more expensive ones offer any benefit other than aerodynamics.

Awesome suggestions, I'm a bit gutted i missed the thread on Piston Heads for their PH branded Bioracer kit :(

I've Altura shorts - two pairs,
A pair of Nalini with a proper leather chamois inner that I've had for years!
Some French sports make tights i bought in Calais.

Casteli are a great make but are pricier. I've never had Bib shorts always bothered about needing the loo but there again i don't go that often on cycle rides..

I'm not worried about my helmet ,it's just the other two bits ,bobbing about around my knees is there much support in Lycra :thinking:. :withstupid:

I had to bite the bullet and get some Altura bib shorts as I've agreed to go on an organised club ride tomorrow :eek:

I'll be keeping an eye out for the better options though as these seem a little on the thin side, the shop only had sportful bib shorts in medium and not the lard arse size I required.

Did see a rather nice Gore lightweight jacket too but decided to resist :D

I've a few sets of Altura shorts and they've been great. Would certainly recommend them - don't think you'll have any issues with the bibs.

Enjoy your ride :)

I've some MTB kit by Altura and that's been ok, road kit definitely seems to be taking the whole lightweight aero thing to extremes. I looked at a "spesh" pair and they had panels on the front of the legs that were thinner than a crisp packet :D

I do actually have a pair of the Altura shorts - they're a fairly unashamedly "summer weight" pair, all "laser cut" and bonded seams and that kind of thing - iirc they're the "ergofit" ones from a couple of years ago - the shorts are great, but the "shammy" is a trifle "cardboardy.." - lets put it this way, there's no way I'd wear them for more than a 4 hour ride without substantial amounts of Assos chamois cream beforehand. The Corresponding Castelli's on the other hand are probably good for 8 hours straight in the saddle sans "minty arse lard"

Well it's only a short one tomorrow as I have things I need to do in town , looking at 25ish miles ride with a 7 mile each way commute to the start point.

Back